All Indiana grown ingredients

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Next up on my brew schedule. Three gallons.
Screenshot_20221202-093351.png

It's nice to live in an area with the terroir for good ingredients. Hoosier Daddy...I like it.

I've done a few brews from local ingredients and didn't even think about it at the time. I have several pounds of hops in my freezer from a nearby hop yard (Mighty Axe, now defunct, sadly), and grain from Rahr. Easy to take for granted when it's nearby.

I ended up with 3.2 gallons at 1.044. So about 7 gravity points per pound instead of the 8 points per pound that I've gotten with briess and other brands. I'm not sure if it's because of the malt itself or if I should have mashed longer.

I ended up with 3.2 gallons at 1.044. So about 7 gravity points per pound instead of the 8 points per pound that I've gotten with briess and other brands. I'm not sure if it's because of the malt itself or if I should have mashed longer.
Also the wheat grain was smaller and maybe I should have run it
through the mill twice.

I was going to ask how it tasted, but obviously it's not ready yet

Now Steve, you should try the same recipe but with ingredient from all over the world and see how they compare?

From what I know, hops are proven by taste and by genetic testing to take on a terroir and some malters are claiming as much for their variety of 2 row or base malt. My LHBS carries Proximity Malts who are in Delaware and there's a real small maltster in Maryland ....something Bear? ..but the shop owner never heard of them so for the mean time, I'll have to hope my Fuggles plant does better than last year and some barley from a neighboring state.

Looks tasty Steve!

Back