All Grain kit

Brewer #347306

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just starting out and my brew store has suggested a kit by Best Case called Hopicana Juicy IPA which is supposed to be an all grain kit. Has anyone done this beer and can you suggest any tips or adjustments to the recipe? Thanks!

Hello, I am just starting out and my brew store has suggested a kit by Best Case called Hopicana Juicy IPA which is supposed to be an all grain kit. Has anyone done this beer and can you suggest any tips or adjustments to the recipe? Thanks!

If you post or upload the recipe we can comment on it. But, even without seeing the recipe my suggestion would be to brew the recipe per the instructions. Especially if you are a new brewer. That goes double if you are starting out with all-grain. You have to get your process figured out first before you start tweaking recipes. Otherwise, if the beer doesn't turn out right you won't know if you made a mistake with your process or if the recipe alteration was the cause. I get it. You have a new toy and you want to push all the buttons and spin all the dials. I did. Patience is the hardest thing for a new brewer (and many experienced brewers) to learn and adopt.

If you post or upload the recipe we can comment on it. But, even without seeing the recipe my suggestion would be to brew the recipe per the instructions. Especially if you are a new brewer. That goes double if you are starting out with all-grain. You have to get your process figured out first before you start tweaking recipes. Otherwise, if the beer doesn't turn out right you won't know if you made a mistake with your process or if the recipe alteration was the cause. I get it. You have a new toy and you want to push all the buttons and spin all the dials. I did. Patience is the hardest thing for a new brewer (and many experienced brewers) to learn and adopt.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't actually bought it yet and I can't find any ingredients online. For right now I am just planning and watching hundreds of YouTube videos.
I agree following the directions is probably the best idea but thought if someone did something a little different and made the kit better like using a different yeast etc that I could take that into account. I also doubt the kit goes into water chemistry which I will want to address, I can pull that from a similar recipe on this website.

I'd advise against it. IPAs are great for covering up brewers' errors. You're learning, so you want to be able to taste your flaws. Do a Pale Ale or a Blonde - you'll be able to taste when you go wrong and then adjust your process to fix it.

I looked up the kit. It looks like that kit was designed for the Grainfather. Is that what you will be using? Have you brewed before? I would get a kit that you think you will like but at the same time, be realistic about comfort and ability.

My first brew was a kit from Northern Brewer, bought it on Amazon. Two buckets, a little kettle, ingredients, everything you need for a first brew attempt. Don't overthink your first attempt, there is no better teacher than experience, coupled with a guiding hand. We can, and are pleased to be the guiding hand.
There is a fabulous resource for the new brewer right here on Brewers Friend!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/beginners-brewing-illustrated-tutorial.10627/

I'd advise against it. IPAs are great for covering up brewers' errors. You're learning, so you want to be able to taste your flaws. Do a Pale Ale or a Blonde - you'll be able to taste when you go wrong and then adjust your process to fix it.

I think a new brewer should be blissfully unaware of their flaws. First they have to enjoy what they're brewing while learning process. After a few brews, only then remove the training wheels and taste the flaws and work on correcting them.

I think a new brewer should be blissfully unaware of their flaws. First they have to enjoy what they're brewing while learning process. After a few brews, only then remove the training wheels and taste the flaws and work on correcting them.
Oh to be blissfully unaware, second this

My first beer was an all grain kit.
A blonde.
I just followed the instructions and came out with a nice beer.
Did I make mistakes? Yes
Would I change the process now? Yes
Did I learn a lot? Yes
Did it make me want to brew more? Yes

Basically, the instructions were sound and based on "standard" kitchen equipment.
I now got much bigger pots and pans, so would now do full volume instead.

I looked up the kit. It looks like that kit was designed for the Grainfather. Is that what you will be using? Have you brewed before? I would get a kit that you think you will like but at the same time, be realistic about comfort and ability.
I currently only have wine making equipment. Have made wine for quite a few years but want to give beer a go as well. I am not going to get the grainfather, instead was looking at the Brewzilla 3.1.1 which seems similar at half the price.
I was not even aware there were all grain kits so my understanding was that I would be needing a mill or get the brew store to do that for me, then they showed me this kit and that seems like a good starting point.

I agree with @Nosybear. Starting out, whether it is all grain or extract, brewing a brown or blonde ale kit is a good place to start. That's how I cut my teeth and it was the test to see if the process itself was doable and likeable. You don't really need too much more than a kettle that can hold your wort (depending on your batch size), cleaning and sanitizing supplies and a couple of buckets. One for fermenting and one for bottling (with a spigot). Start easy.

My first beer was an all grain kit.
A blonde.
I just followed the instructions and came out with a nice beer.
Did I make mistakes? Yes
Would I change the process now? Yes
Did I learn a lot? Yes
Did it make me want to brew more? Yes

Basically, the instructions were sound and based on "standard" kitchen equipment.
I now got much bigger pots and pans, so would now do full volume instead.
I agree. I've made mistakes everytime I've brewed so far and none have really made the beer bad or undrinkable but only by knowing they're there and seeing or tasting them can you try to correct them. Covering mistakes short term might seem nice but how do you grow?

Also I've never used a kit but if I could go back In probably would have for my first extract batch because I had no clue what I was doing with the recipe. Came out ok but in no style I'm aware of. 2nd recipe I got from asking for help on the forum here and that went better. Since then I've gone back to making my own recipes but I have a better understanding of how to research them, a little better understanding of ingredients and I'm not afraid to ask for feedback on them.

It's up to you but I'd say either stick with a kit and follow it exact or between everyone here someone could set you up with a decent SMaSH Blonde or Pale ale recipe. As far as a mill I'd definitely invest in one but the extra cost to have it done isn't that much so if you're not ready to go all in on brewing I'd probably just have them do it

A comment on the Brewzilla: I like mine, but I never use the 'programming' feature. If I were to buy it again, I'd get the more basic version along with a separate pump (the basic doesn't have one built in). If you can get a 220 volt outlet, definitely get the 220 volt version!!

As for the recipe: Buy something you think you'd like to drink, and follow the instructions carefully. You can fiddle with it in the second batch.

Get a book. I recommend How To Brew by John Palmer, but there are hundreds out there, any of them will help.

I like my Brewzilla too. I do use the timers, but I still manage times and temperatures manually on the fly.
I can tell you that they are working on a new revision with a lot of changes, but it could be late 2021 before it hits the market.
From what I understand the controller will be at the top, and will be wifi, and or bluetooth capable.
I suggested that they make it a bit bigger (40 liters), and that they make the timers count down, not up.

Video links that may help with BIAB, I am not associated with any of these people in any way

BIAB Videos

Water calculations, watch this one a few times to get an understanding of water requirements

I would not buy any system before doing a couple small batches with whatever you got on hand.
Just so you know you enjoy doing this, and to know better what to look for ;)

And I think getting proper fermentation temperature control is more important than a fancy system (unless you brew with Kveik ;) )

I would not buy any system before doing a couple small batches with whatever you got on hand.
Just so you know you enjoy doing this, and to know better what to look for ;)

And I think getting proper fermentation temperature control is more important than a fancy system (unless you brew with Kveik ;) )
Agree 100%
I'm not sure where in the world you live, but if you are in the USA, here is a starter kit from Morebeer.
You pretty much just need bottles. I started with a kit like this, and still use some of the items that came with the kit 3 years later.
Just buy and drink some bottled beer, rinse the bottles as you go, and keep them in the case they came in.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-home-brewing-kit.html
upload_2021-2-5_10-1-58.png

If you're just starting don't buy a bunch of expensive equipment. Do not be convinced by people that all grain is the only way to brew either. You can easily get a couple kg of Dry Malt Extract, a bucket, an ounce or two of hops (Cascade are a safe choice), boil it all for 20 minutes, chill it and toss some yeast in.

You'll end up with a decent enough beer and know if you want to put more money into the hobby.

If you're just starting don't buy a bunch of expensive equipment. Do not be convinced by people that all grain is the only way to brew either. You can easily get a couple kg of Dry Malt Extract, a bucket, an ounce or two of hops (Cascade are a safe choice), boil it all for 20 minutes, chill it and toss some yeast in.

You'll end up with a decent enough beer and know if you want to put more money into the hobby.
Or just do BIAB on the stove top with a mesh bag instead spending all that money on a high-tech system

Yeah that works too, all depends what you already have on hand. An extract beer is a perfectly fine beer to get your feet under you.

Yeah that works too, all depends what you already have on hand. An extract beer is a perfectly fine beer to get your feet under you.
Totally agree, just didn't know if there was a specific reason for wanting to do all-grain like ingredient availability or cost

Back