Alcohol infucion and experimental homebrewing

Reaction score
Hello folk
Did you read the book 'experimental homebrewing'
I have found it really interesting to start new way to brew
Anyway I tried to let cocoa beans with alcohol a couple of months, filtering and add in the bottle before bottling..
Results zero foam and I mean never , neither shaking instead the bottles without the infuse were ok
Look like as the alcohol killed the foam.
I thought also "maybe cocoa beans contains oily enemy of the foam" but really don't know
Because I'd like to try with hops in the same way I want to know your experience.. thank you

Last edited:
Oil.
Alcohol can't kill head...even very high ABV beers have plenty of head (foam).
Hop infusion can be an interesting technique, but many compounds that contain the flavor and aroma and bitterness in hops need to be in the presence of the hot or boiling wort to get utilized.

I've added pellets of nelson sauvin to bottles at bottling time and some without but be careful some were overpowering. Probably not a good ideao_O

If I were to add cocoa to a brew, it would be at end of boil in powder form, or at least ground. But cocoa powder is readily available.

Maybe I'm missing the point!

The missus has cacao nibs here at home I recon if I was going to brew a brown ale I'd definitely have a crack at throwing some of these toward the end of the boil for flavour.

Someone already mentioned at least one potential cause, oil. Others: Soap or lack of protein in your beer. It's protein that holds the bubbles together but the way you describe the problem something got oil in your beer. The cocoa beans are a likely candidate, the beans contain cocoa butter, the nibs do not. Alcohol is not a candidate: All beers contain alcohol and at least some of them have a head.... ;-)

Back