Airlock stopped after 2 days

JuicyJack

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewing Morebeer Morehaze recipe kit, airlock starting going crazy after 4 hours but has stopped after the second day. Did a double pitch of Giga Yeast Vermont IPA. Initial gravity was 1.071 when expected was 1.086-90 according to the recipe. After about 48 hours airlock activity has stopped and did a first dry hop addition, getting a gravity reading of 1.028 which if fermentation is done would be a lot lower abv than i had hoped for. The krausen is not visible but there is some residue along the side wall of the fermentor and a thick 3 inch layer of sediment on the bottom. I am wondering if there is a possible issue with the yeast and if I should throw in some dry yeast i have, I also have yeast nutrients that i forgot to put in during the boil. Any ideas of what I should do or just wait and let it continue to ferment.

Thanks!

You could give the fermenter a swirl if the yeast has started to drop. Usually dry-hopping will get things going again. I've thrown in sugar at krausen drop and boosted the fermentation and attenuation,.Since your gravity was low, you might consider that. Even without any further action, it'll probably drop further on its own.

Not inherently a problem. Just let it wait, give it a few days and pull another sample.

Forget about it, leave it for at least another week, especially if you are bottling. Yeast are living organisms, and they need time to do what they do. I have had vermont not fully attenuate in the past, even after 2 weeks. I am kegging so I don't have to worry too much.

Back