Advice needed - Pressure Valve issue?

Pete1978 UK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need advice on a top tap RotoKeg. I recently got one of these barrels second hand, so bought new float, tap, and lids to ensure a good tight seal. Two weeks ago started the carbonation stage but tonight when I turned the tap there was nothing. There is no pressure in the barrel to force the beer out. I used the calculator on this site, to ensure I used enough sugar so I didnt think that was the route of the problem.

I added a 8g CO2 container to test and noticed that the pressure instantly resolved the problem by forcing beer through the float and tap, but the pressure valve was also releasing pressure constantly and continued to release until a level that resulted in not enough pressure to force the beer out of the barrel again.

It seems the valve has a fresh hold lower than the pressure needed to force the beer out the top tap on a rotokeg.

Is this something I can fix or is it a faulty pressure Valve?
Thanks for any advice as I am new to barreling and normally just bottle (Ironically I thought I would barell this time as it seemed easier :lol: )
Cheers
Pete

Back