Adding Fruit to a Wheat

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by a_dwiz12, Jun 5, 2019.

1. a_dwiz12

a_dwiz12 New Member

So I want to add some Rasberries and lime to a wheat beer that is fermenting. I have frozen raspberries (from the store) and like juice. Do I need to soak these in vodka for a period of time to sanitize? And how much is a good amount for 5 gallons?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I'd heat pasteurize them instead. Heat to 160 degrees and hold 20 minutes. And puree them in advance. Raspberry is a pretty strong flavor so I'd go 1.5# if you want subtle, 3# if you want some real raspberry juice. I generally use the canned puree - expensive but already sterile, added at high krauesen.

3. BilltownBrewingCo

BilltownBrewingCo Active Member

Real Estate Development
    I agree with Nosy, heating and pureeing them ahead of time not only sterilizes, but will help break them down, and add more flavor.

Advice on the limes- Don't add any of the pith- section out the fruit, and use the zest if you like, but the white fleshy pith will lend a very harsh, unpleasant bitter flavor.

Also, the raspberry pure will be full of seeds, make sure to throw it into a hop bag before going into the secondary.

Trialben likes this.
  4. Vallka

Vallka Well-Known Member

I do a Mango NEIPA and add the puree mango with 5min left in the boil. I did one batch and added couple days into fermentation....I did same as nosy and Billtown said, puree and pasteurize.
    Your beer sounds good!

5. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

If you don’t have a hop bag, don’t fret too much.... I’ve used Raspberry Purée a couple times. Whether it’s lucky or not, I’ve never had issues with the seeds.

6. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    I tried a new fruit/vegetable addition method yesterday might not be that sanitary but time will tell. I pealed the skin off sone ginger and tumeric put that in a new sandwich bag (ziplock) sprayed some starsan on the pealed roots placed them in the freezer for a day or two. then yesterday boiled the crap out of the thermo then put them roots in it a whizzed them. Added these to hop ball and dropped it into keg on transfer.

7. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Slight update: 150 degrees for 20 minutes will suffice to pasteurize fruit enough that it won't infect your beer.

BilltownBrewingCo and a_dwiz12 like this.