Adding Fruit to a Wheat

a_dwiz12

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I want to add some Rasberries and lime to a wheat beer that is fermenting. I have frozen raspberries (from the store) and like juice. Do I need to soak these in vodka for a period of time to sanitize? And how much is a good amount for 5 gallons?

I'd heat pasteurize them instead. Heat to 160 degrees and hold 20 minutes. And puree them in advance. Raspberry is a pretty strong flavor so I'd go 1.5# if you want subtle, 3# if you want some real raspberry juice. I generally use the canned puree - expensive but already sterile, added at high krauesen.

I agree with Nosy, heating and pureeing them ahead of time not only sterilizes, but will help break them down, and add more flavor.

Advice on the limes- Don't add any of the pith- section out the fruit, and use the zest if you like, but the white fleshy pith will lend a very harsh, unpleasant bitter flavor.

Also, the raspberry pure will be full of seeds, make sure to throw it into a hop bag before going into the secondary.

I do a Mango NEIPA and add the puree mango with 5min left in the boil. I did one batch and added couple days into fermentation....I did same as nosy and Billtown said, puree and pasteurize.
Your beer sounds good!

...Also, the raspberry pure will be full of seeds, make sure to throw it into a hop bag before going into the secondary.

If you don’t have a hop bag, don’t fret too much.... I’ve used Raspberry Purée a couple times. Whether it’s lucky or not, I’ve never had issues with the seeds.

I tried a new fruit/vegetable addition method yesterday might not be that sanitary but time will tell. I pealed the skin off sone ginger and tumeric put that in a new sandwich bag (ziplock) sprayed some starsan on the pealed roots placed them in the freezer for a day or two. then yesterday boiled the crap out of the thermo then put them roots in it a whizzed them. Added these to hop ball and dropped it into keg on transfer.

I agree with Nosy, heating and pureeing them ahead of time not only sterilizes, but will help break them down, and add more flavor.

Advice on the limes- Don't add any of the pith- section out the fruit, and use the zest if you like, but the white fleshy pith will lend a very harsh, unpleasant bitter flavor.

Also, the raspberry pure will be full of seeds, make sure to throw it into a hop bag before going into the secondary.
Slight update: 150 degrees for 20 minutes will suffice to pasteurize fruit enough that it won't infect your beer.

Back