Adding Fermentables in Secondary

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I sometimes add fermentables like honey (or Hershey's syrup) to secondary. Putting them in the Fermentables list gives weird results (and inaccurate ones for, say, pre-boil gravity and so forth). Any thoughts on adding logic so that we can keep the mashed ingredients separate from, say, steeped ingredients or late additions? I can do this manually but if the software could.... Even better!

This a 'very late' addition that happens after the boil. Maybe something simple like 'not in boil' flag to keep the pre-boil calculation and OG correct.

This could also fit with the idea of noting the adjusted OG/FG after adding priming sugar. That would figure into the brew session area.

These types of additions would normally be fermented, but in some cases they may not be (like in the case of a back sweetened mead).

Need to think about it more...

There are "Late Additions" that I add at flameout (Malt syrup to partial mash batches, sometimes honey additions, syrups or sugars), then there are "Other Fermentables" that I add to secondary such as honey, syrup, fruit. I guess priming sugar is one as well - it adds a few points. None of these should figure into the mash efficiency calculations or boil gravity, the "Late additions" should enter into the OG calculations and all should figure into the final alcohol content and final gravity calc's. Sweetening with non-fermentables like Lactose should not.

Make sense?

Yes that does make sense. Sounds like an extra checkbox is in order on the recipe editor. We may also need to support the priming sugar increase in the brew log section too.

Lactose and Maltodextrine are both programed to be non fermentable.

Instead of an extra check box, how about a text box that becomes active when you select late addition. In the text box the time of the late addition can be entered, i.e. 10 minutes, 0 minutes

How about a dropdown for fermentables that defaults to mash/steep/boil as appropriate (boil for extracts/syrups/sugars, steep for character/color malts when using extract, mash for malts when doing partial mash or all-grain, late for anything added after flameout and fermenter for anything added once the wort is fermenting)? The logic would be anything that is "mash" would be used to calculate mash efficiency and gravity, "Steep" would affect boil gravity but not mash efficiency, anything that is "boil" would be used to calculate the boil gravity and, if a time were entered, would affect hop utilization, "late" would not affect boil gravity but would affect OG, Fermenter would affect alcohol and FG. Make sense?

Yeah a drop down might be better than adding more checkboxes.

Back