Adding Coriander and Orange Peel to Belgian Wheat

JohnAdam

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm reading a lot of different opinions on when and how long to steep the orange peel and coriander. I'm making a Belgian Witbier tonight. The coriander came crushed and it looks like cinnamon. The guy from Midwest said to throw it right into the wort but I've read that leaving coriander and orange peel in the primary fermenter can result in overwhelming flavors. My lhbs is closed today so if I decide to steep them in a muslin bag, I can't buy any today. I only have one muslin bag which will be used for the grains and hops. Can I add the orange peel and coriander to the same bag the hops are in, or am I better off just throwing them into the boil without a bag? Any advice on what to do would be great.

The recipe came with 1 oz bitter orange peel and 1 oz crushed coriander. Also not sure how much to use of each. I've read 1 oz of coriander for a 5 gallon batch can be too much.

Sorry for asking this as I've seen it discussed in a few older threads, but I am brewing tonight and just want to ensure I don't screw anything up. It's only my second batch. Thank you in advance!

Tags: descargar tonos para celular, message tones free, descargar sonidos para celular

Last edited:
I'm no expert. But when flavouring anything its better to under do it rather than overdo. I'd probably bung them in your grain bag. 1/2oz each. But I'm only guessing.

Lets hope someone comes to answer soon!

You could make a tea!

Boiling water 200ml approx 1% of 5gal
Orange Peel 0.3grams approx 1% of 1oz
Coriander 0.3grams approx 1% of 1oz

Sorry about ml & grams.

If you cant weigh down to 0.3g use the simple method...

1/3 pint boiling water. Add a pinch of Coriander & Orange peel. Let cool for 10 mins and taste. This will give an approximation, but without the beer flavour.

Yea wack em in the bag but it shouldnt hinder the flavour and you can take them out once your done.

fwiw, i used 11g in a wit a while back. it also had zest and chamomile, but nothing was overpowering.

however, it was whole coriander i crushed myself. it probably loses something if its been sitting crushed for awhile.

also, i just threw everything in, no problem.

Crushed coriander and orange zest (not peel...the inner rind adds a lot of bitterness) at the last 5 minutes of the boil is most common. I used a little high-quality orange extract and a coriander tincture that I made with vodka before bottling on one beer that I did. Very easy to control if you want to experiment.

Back