Adding an Uknown Hop to Inventory

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have just recieved a nice load of hops of unknown variety both on the bine and already picked. I want to add them to my inventory but I have a problem naming them.
I have chosen to give them my own variety name but the system wants to change things for itself and I can not alter it.

I want to use two names, Northease Green and Northease Dry - to signify they two styles - so I start to add a new inventory entry for each and give them both the same average AA value, Zero cost and the selected name.
This entry is for the Green version.
There is no Brand name so I leave that blank.

upload_2020-9-14_16-40-19.png

The entry is saved and I review the Inventory listing.
upload_2020-9-14_16-42-31.png

Now the system has added the Barth-Haas / prefix. Why?

I would prefer for the system to add nothing from the Brand field if it was left blank.

As you can see the system did the same thing for both versions of the hop entries.

Editing the entries did NOT solve the problem - the system still insisted on entering the first default entry of the Brand list after saving.

Deleting the Brand name also deletes the name I have entered for the hop.
upload_2020-9-14_16-51-34.png

By the way. The BRAND name does NOT appear in the drop-down list in the Recipe Editor. Thankfully that bit is OK. The only issue is in the Inventory listing where the Brand is added.
Over to you Admin...

Last edited:
I have just recieved a nice load of hops of unknown variety both on the bine and already picked. I want to add them to my inventory but I have a problem naming them.
I have chosen to give them my own variety name but the system wants to change things for itself and I can not alter it.

I want to use two names, Northease Green and Northease Dry - to signify they two styles - so I start to add a new inventory entry for each and give them both the same average AA value, Zero cost and the selected name.
This entry is for the Green version.
There is no Brand name so I leave that blank.

View attachment 11924

The entry is saved and I review the Inventory listing.
View attachment 11925
Now the system has added the Barth-Haas / prefix. Why?

I would prefer for the system to add nothing from the Brand field if it was left blank.

As you can see the system did the same thing for both versions of the hop entries.

Editing the entries did NOT solve the problem - the system still insisted on entering the first default entry of the Brand list after saving.

Deleting the Brand name also deletes the name I have entered for the hop.
View attachment 11926

By the way. The BRAND name does NOT appear in the drop-down list in the Recipe Editor. Thankfully that bit is OK. The only issue is in the Inventory listing where the Brand is added.
Over to you Admin...

Very very odd. I'm going to take a look now.

I cannot recreate this.
I added a fresh hop to my inventory:
upload_2020-9-14_12-47-7.png

No problems.
I then added one to your inventory, the same way, and it worked fine:
upload_2020-9-14_12-51-54.png

Can you ensure that you are not accidentally pulling a brand name in there?

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-14_12-46-43.png
    upload_2020-9-14_12-46-43.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 111
I cannot recreate this.
I added a fresh hop to my inventory:
View attachment 11928

No problems.
I then added one to your inventory, the same way, and it worked fine:
View attachment 11929
Can you ensure that you are not accidentally pulling a brand name in there?

I think I may have done that the very first time I entered the data but I deleted the BRAND field - which then deleted the NAME field so I re-entered the NAME - ensuring the BRAND field was empty - then saved the entry. Ever since then I was unable to remove the BRAND field value by going into EDIT.

I did what you must have done and entered a new Hop - NOT TOUCHING THE BRAND FIELD - and that entry did NOT have the Brand attached. SO far so good. I deleted one of the original entries and re-entered it. That worked, as you proved earlier.

What seems to be the case is once you have entered a BRAND field from the drop down list you are never able to get rid of it.
Try that for yourself.

I have left one of the original entries for you to have a go if you want. See if you can delete the Brand value - I can't.

Thanks for taking a look - it is an obscure fault - only solved by deleting the record and starting again AVOIDING THE BRAND FIELD!

@AHarper I still cannot recreate this. I'm using Windows 10 on my desktop with Chrome. What are you using?
Using the same.
I will try and replicate it and leave the entry on the system and let you know

Using the same.
I will try and replicate it and leave the entry on the system and let you know

Great- and then I can see how it works for me. I appreciate you taking the time to help us nail this down.

Great- and then I can see how it works for me. I appreciate you taking the time to help us nail this down.

OK I see how it works.
1. Add New Inventory
2. Fill in all relevant Hop details - including BRAND. Save entry.
3. Reviewing Hop inventory list shows Hop with Brand / Name as an entry.
4. Try to Edit entry - delete BRAND (which deletes Name field), Re-enter NAME field then SAVE.
5. Brand / Name entry still exists.

Therefore. Only if you first save the record WITH a Brand name, then try and edit it afterwards, you will NOT get rid of the BRAND.
The only way round this is to delete the record and start again - this time DON'T SAVE WITH A BRAND NAME.

Last edited:
OK I see how it works.
1. Add New Inventory
2. Fill in all relevant Hop details - including BRAND. Save entry.
3. Reviewing Hop inventory list shows Hop with Brand / Name as an entry.
4. Try to Edit entry - delete BRAND (which deletes Name field), Re-enter NAME field then SAVE.
5. Brand / Name entry still exists.

Therefore. Only if you first save the record WITH a Brand name, then try and edit it afterwards, you will NOT get rid of the BRAND.
The only way round this is to delete the record and start again - this time DON'T SAVE WITH A BRAND NAME.

I think that is how it's supposed to work, though. So if you enter an ingredient, it's "tied" to that brand name in our catalog. So it can't be changed, it has to be deleted from that brand's catalog.

For example, if I had a pale ale malt to Simpson's, but later realize it's not Simpsons, but instead it's Crisp's product, I can't just pull the brand name off. Instead, I have to make the correct entry and delete the wrong one. Otherwise, our catalog would be a mess.

I think that is how it's supposed to work, though. So if you enter an ingredient, it's "tied" to that brand name in our catalog. So it can't be changed, it has to be deleted from that brand's catalog.

For example, if I had a pale ale malt to Simpson's, but later realize it's not Simpsons, but instead it's Crisp's product, I can't just pull the brand name off. Instead, I have to make the correct entry and delete the wrong one. Otherwise, our catalog would be a mess.

OK that makes more sense and explains why the Name field is deleted too when you delete the Brand part of the entry - you are actually deleting the entry in the main catalogue that your Inventory entry is tied to, though, following that logic further, there would be more entries based on the pellet/leaf options etc. but I see what you mean.

It does sound like there's some interface issues here though, regardless of how the database works, you should be able to remove the brand from an ingredient without deleting the name, and it should save properly.

So I will open a ticket to myself to explore in my ever so copious free time. If I see any issues or have questions I'll reach out to you both.

Back