Added DME to hit numbers, how do I account for this?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what happened on my last brew session, but I was 14 points low on my preboil gravity.
It was supposed to be 1.055, but ended up at 1.041.
I added DME to get the numbers up, but I am at a loss as to what data to enter in the brew session.
The good news is that the beer turned out great, so I guess I could just skip all of that and move on.
Capture.JPG

I've had the same problem. I usually do the math by hand.

I just add something to the notes so that when I go back to look at the previous brew sessions next time I'm planning to brew the recipe I can adjust things.

If you really want to add more detail and you're using a snapshot, you can go to the recipe button up near the top right. When that takes you to the snapshot version of your recipe you can hit the edit button near the top right to add it to the recipe. That will also give you the real efficiency numbers if that matters to you.

Another way is just, as Mark says, make a snapshot and add the DME as a fermentable. Me, I just calculate the points added by the DME (a pound is 42 points), add them to the points in the original recipe (volume X gravity points, (1000*(SG-1)) then divide the total points by the new volume. It's close enough on OG/ABV calculations and efficiency doesn't matter at all to me.

Thanks guys, just making some notes for next time.
Cheers!

Back