Adapting wort chiller to faucet

Barrel + Anchor

Premium Member
Reaction score
I live in an apartment and have limited options to create an effective brewing space. One limitation is that my sink is not nearly big enough to accommodate my kettle. I tried cooling in a large bin filled with ice, but it just didn't seem to to work. It took so much ice and didn't seem to make a dent in the temperature. It cooled, but it took way too long.

Accordingly, I bought a wort chiller. However, I don't have a sink in my apartment that will accept the fitting. (1) The fitting on the wort chiller is female. But the threads on my faucet(s) are also female. So I need to find a male wort chiller fitting with the threads on the outside. (2) Even if I could find a replacement, the tubing seems to be pretty tightly molded/clamped around the stem of the fitting .

So, my questions are:

1. Where can I find the right fitting? is this something I can just get at a hardware store? Obviously a fitting that attaches to a sink would be there. But would one be there that attaches to a sink and also has a hole on one end such that it will attach and secure to the wort chiller? Or is this like a brewing specific piece I should look elsewhere for?
  2. Do I just clip the tube and reattach the replacement fitting? Is it that simple?

The hardware store, or homo depot, or the like will have adapters to get you to a male garden hose. Most laundry faucets have a garden hose fitting on them. These are very common items.

Take the aerator off and take it with you to the hardware store to make sure you get the right one. There a few different sizes. If you to a home Depot or the like someone in the plumbing section will likely help you figure it out.

I went to the local Ace Hardware and got one to fit the kitchen faucet. Got home and discovered that it not only fit that, but also the bathroom sink faucet. The kitchen faucet was malethreads and the bathroom female and a different size too. Part # 4564985' Seems pretty universal, but I'd bring the aerator to match up.

I live in an apartment and have limited options to create an effective brewing space. One limitation is that my sink is not nearly big enough to accommodate my kettle. I tried cooling in a large bin filled with ice, but it just didn't seem to to work. It took so much ice and didn't seem to make a dent in the temperature. It cooled, but it took way too long.

Accordingly, I bought a wort chiller. However, I don't have a sink in my apartment that will accept the fitting. (1) The fitting on the wort chiller is female. But the threads on my faucet(s) are also female. So I need to find a male wort chiller fitting with the threads on the outside. (2) Even if I could find a replacement, the tubing seems to be pretty tightly molded/clamped around the stem of the fitting .

So, my questions are:

1. Where can I find the right fitting? is this something I can just get at a hardware store? Obviously a fitting that attaches to a sink would be there. But would one be there that attaches to a sink and also has a hole on one end such that it will attach and secure to the wort chiller? Or is this like a brewing specific piece I should look elsewhere for?
  2. Do I just clip the tube and reattach the replacement fitting? Is it that simple?
buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Compression-...itchen+faucet+threaded+t,aps,178&sr=8-36&th=1

then you can connect your chiller anyway you like.

Four-year-old thread. And not very brewing-related. Whaddaya think folks? Mia?

Back