• Online retailer

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • neither, I grow my own :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick poll of the users here. What are your opinions good or bad of the acquisition? Where do most of the people here get their brewing supplies.

I think it's a bad thing. it's becoming harder and harder to know where your money is going to. multinational businesses inherently do not have a local community's interests in mind, and i feel that runs completely counter to the craft beer culture and mantra

thankfully i have a local store about 15 mins away, so I'll never buy ingredients online. equipment is another issue, but i don't foresee myself going to crazy on that end anytime soon (maybe just another keg or two)

i recently heard that heinekin bought lagunitas, which really turns me off of their beers, no matter how good they may be

this is tricky because I do both and the reason is I buy bulk hops, harware and yeast online but everything else local

It didn't take me long to get off Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply's distribution list. But if they were relying on me, they'd go broke. Most of my stuff comes from the Friendly Neighborhood LHBS and anything they don't have, they can get, relatively quickly.

I think it's a bad thing. it's becoming harder and harder to know where your money is going to. multinational businesses inherently do not have a local community's interests in mind, and i feel that runs completely counter to the craft beer culture and mantra

My thoughts exactly. Homebrewing is a community endeavour, and the more local the better.

I wouldn't call it local but 200k up the road I also order his products online to ship down to me or go for a drive and do a bulk buy.

As for brewing equipment I've sourced that locally and from all over the place China Hong Kong yep they make cheap stuff but does the job

200k? What's that in miles?? :D:p

I saw this a couple day's ago and have been considering it. Looks to me like they are trying to make a buck "no matter what". I don't think they want to mess with the trend that's going on in the US but just trying to capitalize on it. I truly hope they don't F#%k with the small hometown breweries that just make good beer for their customers. They have bought out several good bigger breweries across the nation but I don't think they will try to take over completely. To get a hypotheses of the future you would have to research how they work in Germany and Belgium.

As far as comparing with OZ not sure how viral this is getting nation wide but in the northwest US there are lots of places that have 50+ beers on tap and only a few are from the big boys. Every town of any size has a brewery. Some are so so but some make dam good beer. One thing to keep in mind is that HOMEBREWERS got this going. We wouldn't have the variety we enjoy if it wasn't for ALL OF THE HOMEBREWERS. It would be stupid of them to pull their own roots. I think they just want to make a buck off of us and there isn't much we can do to avoid this. We just need to support LHBS stores so some of our bucks stay home.

The only part I disagree with you on head first, if there weren't monopoly laws, they would absolutely try to buy everyone up to get rid of the competition

What gets me is the hypocrisy of it all. A bud commercial put down craft beer showing some mustached guy drinking a pumpkin whatever beer and how we fuss over everything, but then their subsidiaries put out the same type of beer

That's my point. They are in it for the $$$$ period. They will do all they can without rocking the boat too much. Monopoly laws don't mean diddly to international corporations this size. They basicly took over Bud and Miller at the same time without crossing the monopoly line. They will own most of the malt producers, they will own most of the hop producers. As consumers we can't stop this. As I said if we shop local we can keep some of the money close to home. Best we can do. Wish it were different.

AB/InBeV buys Northern Brewer
funny thing is people keep posting this all over the web and Ive seen no proof other than forums and articles

Go to the Northern Brewer web site, go to the company history link, and read the last paragraph. It's true, it's real, it's a done deal.

1. Buy out the competition. Check!
2. Buy out the Craft Beer Breweries. Check!
3. Start buying out the Home Brew Supply Stores. Almost there!
"If you want beer, will have to buy our beer. If you want to make your own beer, you will have to buy our home brew supplies. Either way, we win!" -- AB-InBev

Back