8 Gallon Fermenter with spigot

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/841220.htm

Any one have experience with this bucket?

I have used the non tapped version and love it. Perfect size for larger batches and no blow over. Super easy to clean. My better bottles and glass carboys are now on craiglist!

I just ordered the spigot version. Wondering how well it works with trub.

I don't have exactly that one but I do have an 8-gallon Speidel with spigot. Love it. Racking is soooooo easy!

This bad boy is a keeper

Lotsa room, and the spigot is great

Question - Couldnt I just add priming sugar, GENTLY STIR, and bottle directly from fermentor?

Krimbos said:
This bad boy is a keeper

Lotsa room, and the spigot is great

Question - Couldnt I just add priming sugar, GENTLY STIR, and bottle directly from fermentor?
This probably depends on what yeast you are using and how much of it you're willing to accept in the bottle.
With WLP007 the cake was pretty compact and I *might* have gotten away with doing something like that. With US-05 there isn't really much of a "cake"...just a layer of fairly loose yeast. I even have to be really careful not to suck up too much of it while racking (siphon) to my bottling bucket.

We actually bottle wine directly from the fermentor. As with everything brewing, the answer is mostly, it depends. Bottling directly from the fermentor can work if:

1. The outlet for your tap is above the level of the trub - likely not a problem if you're bottling from a secondary fermentor or you can hold your racking cane above the trub.
2. Your yeast is flocculent enough to form a relatively firm yeast cake.
3. You are willing to give up some of the beer, up to a quart until it runs clear from your tap.
4. You put the priming sugar directly in the bottle and don't stir up the yeast.

Too many ifs for me, though. I rack to a bucket and bottle from there.

I also have a Speidel fermenter, 8gal or somewhere in that area. I have used it 3 times so far. Right now I have a 1.082 gravity beer fermenting in it with no issues other than I don't have to worry about clogged and blown off air locks anymore!

I have, use and sell these.
The 8 gallon size is great.
There are a couple of challenges to work around with them though.
Cleaning around the spigot housing is difficult at best.
The lids are a bear to get on the first few times.
Drilling out the hole in the spigot housing leaves a rough surface that is difficult to sanitize. Also, if you ferment with a spigot in place, how are you keeping the spigot sanitized during fermentation? The reason I ask is because I use swamp coolers to stabilize my fermentation temperatures and I don't want my spigot in the water.
If you just ferment @ ambient temperatures, I suppose you could just wrap it up in a star san bag.
Brian

Back