5 to 10 gallon batches

MortgageBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've only brewed recipes that are 5 gallons. Is there a conversion calculator in Brewer's Friend that can take a 5 gallon recipe and make it for 10 gallons?

Thanks.

yes first I copy and rename it then in the top menu, edit then tools then scale. just put in the ending boil size like 5.5

I am planning to move to 10gal.
I have a 15gal kettle

Any tips/insights on larger batches?

I am planning to move to 10gal.
I have a 15gal kettle

Any tips/insights on larger batches?

do the same thing but instead of 5.5 put something like 11, it all depends on your trub/transfer waste you could put 10.5 if you don't have very much

I was thinking about process and actual brew day

Oh, right.... ;-)

One thing is more heating capacity - you're bringing twice as much liquid to boil. Another: Not everything scales linearly - you may have to change some things more than others and experiment with a batch or three before getting it dialed in - I find even changing something simple changes the beer! Starters need to be twice as big or batches split. You're chilling twice as much hot wort so however you cool will have to take double the load. There may be other effects I'm missing....

well a couple of things change with a 10 gallon batch, first you loose efficiency as the batch gets bigger, but you can overcome this with a longer mash, then you have to add twice or more yeast, if you divide your batch into 2 - 5 gallon batches just pay attention to the gravity and treat each as its own beer so you basically have 2 beers going the mash is the hardest to control but if your patient and don't rush you'll be fine, just do a 120 minute mash just to be safe

Back