3/4 full PIN?

Weardend

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've got a brew approaching the end of fermentation. I'd like to put in in my PIN to condition but I've only enough to fill it about 3/4 full. Will the additional air in the barrel cause any issues? and should I therefore bottle instead?

a lot of people do this different but all I can say from experience I my self do not allow any air into the head space of my fermenter, so that means when I open it at all its time to keg or bottle

I was asking about cask not the fermenter really.

I'm not familiar with that process but I would think it would be the same

Even if your PIN was full, at some point it would be 3/4 full. RDWHAHB.

What's a PIN?

Last edited:
Its a cask half the size of a firkin. 36 pint 23 litre.
Concerned about the air affecting the beer whilst conditioning

Could you fill it with CO2 prior?

Hi. I've got a brew approaching the end of fermentation. I'd like to put in in my PIN to condition but I've only enough to fill it about 3/4 full. Will the additional air in the barrel cause any issues? and should I therefore bottle instead?
If possible, like Jeffpn suggests, place a blanket of Co2 in the "Pin" prior to transfer.

O2 is bad for finished beer. CO2 is fine, as is Nitrogen. Fill your container with whatever gas you'll be using to provide pressure for serving. As you fill, there shouldn't be any way for oxygen to enter and the beer will only be in contact with "inert" gas during conditioning.

Back