24 hours

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
3 gallon all grain recipee started at 1.051 and started fermenting within hours of pitching an English ale yeast.

24 hours later fermentation slowed to a crawl and it's at 1.013.

Too fast, or this happens occasionally ?

My limited experience is that fermentation started 24 hours later, and was vigorous for a day or two. This was literally done in 24 hours....

Hoping this doesn't affect flavor, and should I wait the two weeks anyway before bottling ? Let things settle out ?

if it was us 04 it can happen, its not always a good thing but i've had quick fermentations turn out fine

Yeah, 04 it was.

I'm guessing I should let it remain in primary for the remainder of the two weeks to settle out, question is should that be at 70 or should I move it to a cooler spot ?

10 days is what I go by for ales but keep it the same temp for at least a week and you could cool it down after that for as long as you want

I like to pitch S-04 much lower...preferably 65 or so and let it warm up to 70 or so. The issue with that sort of yeast is that it can get extremely estery when it goes too fast. If you pitched at 75, it may have cooled only a couple of degrees before fermentation started raising wort temp with exothermic activity. That means that even though your air temp may be 70, wort temp could have gone from slightly below pitch temp to as high as 76 or more at least briefly.
It'll probably clean up okay, but holding at temp for 10 days as suggested is a solid plan.

3 gallon all grain recipee started at 1.051 and started fermenting within hours of pitching an English ale yeast.

24 hours later fermentation slowed to a crawl and it's at 1.013.

Too fast, or this happens occasionally ?

My limited experience is that fermentation started 24 hours later, and was vigorous for a day or two. This was literally done in 24 hours....

Hoping this doesn't affect flavor, and should I wait the two weeks anyway before bottling ? Let things settle out ?
English ale yeasts generally work quickly. Take another reading and see if it's changed gravity. If not, it's done.

Pitched at 75, otherwise sits at 70
I have found that with yeasts like S-04, I get the best results if I pitch 2°f below the target fermentation temp. I like S-04 at 68°f so I will pitch it at 66°, it tends to take off pretty fast for me so it gets up to the target temp quickly while reducing the risk of the fermentation getting too hot.

Reactions: J A

Back