2018 Brew Year

White Haus Brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my BF Brewing Report from this year and reminiscing over the year and figured I'd share. I know there's still a few days left of the year but I don't think I'll be sneaking in another brew before it's over so here's how my year shakes out:
- I made 46 Gallons of beer between 11 brews (9 brew days)
- Used a whooping 12oz of hops (avg 0.26oz/gal) *and yes I'm being sarcastic, I know I don't use a lot of hops :p *
- Haven't repeated a brew or style yet.

Other notable mentions:
- Started brewing 2/11 of this year.
- Went from extract to BIAB.
- Went from kits to recipe creation.
- Parti-Gyled (1 grain bill, 2 mashes, 3 very different Saisons)

Would love to see what you guys and gals have done this year if you feel like sharing!

Going over my mental notes:

Started playing with water a bit beyond just a Campden tablet.

Brewed a NEIPA with a ton or oranges, some vanilla and a little bit of lactic acid.

Brewed the 2018 version of Cooper's Barleywine.

I feel like this was a relatively low year in terms of production, but don't have any numbers to back that up

Looks like I got in at least 25 brew days and produced right around 250 gallons of beer. There was a 3 month period where I didn't brew at all while I was rebuilding my system so a couple of months in the summer and for the last month or so I've been brewing every week.

The biggest changes for my have been putting together my electric system, getting the half-barrel Unitank and getting the new can seamer. Considering my 14-gallon UniVessel fermenter and fermenter/pressure transfer fittings for my quarter-barrel sanke, I'm all stainless steel and closed system throughout the fermentation process, even though for now the Unitank is the only thing that's fully temp controlled.

Turnaround time on the Unitank is as little as 2 weeks from brew day to tapped keg and I can empty kegs into cans and clear my kegerator for the next batch of kegs. That really makes the most of my cold-storage space. My goal is to be able to brew more or less on a predictable schedule.

26 different beers
19 different styles
235 gal.
About the same as previous year.
@jmcnamara go to your Dashboard, scroll to the bottom til you see Brewing report. If you used the software for the brews it will tally it up for you here.

26 different beers
19 different styles
235 gal.
About the same as previous year.
@jmcnamara go to your Dashboard, scroll to the bottom til you see Brewing report. If you used the software for the brews it will tally it up for you here.
I only use it for recipe creation, I probably haven't done a brew session in 4 or 5 years. One of the things I want to work on for the new year :)

Haha it looks like I'm slacking! I'll have to pick up the pace in 2019 but I think I'll need friends to help drink it :p

Sounds like you have yourself quite the brewing setup @J A !

Cheers to many more brew years!

Reactions: J A
Kind of a slow year for me volume wise. 13 brews for 62 gallons total. But they were really good gallons! Several medals, a best of show for a Helles.... I feel I have lagering down, so much so that my next brew (and last for 2018) is an Urquell clone made with seriously undermodified malt using traditional decoction methods. Yes, you heard that right, Nosy is decocting. I switched this year from propane to induction heating, replaced both my fermentation and lagering chambers (both fridges went out within a week of each other). That's the high points - First GABF, Best of Show at Rocky Mountain Homebrew Challenge.... Looking forward to 2019, building a recirculating system, first entry into the National Homebrew Competition and to brewing quite a bit more good beer.

Nice. I did 50 batches of beer and 2 ciders. Roughly 1600L total

I give a lot away or do a double batch for someone else to take half. I've honestly been very unhappy with my Resilience batch, the hop flavour just is all wrong to me, it's cloying and overpowering so I gave 5 gallons to a buddy and I"m going to age the other keg and see if maybe it mellows as the hop flavour reduces.

In my Rookie brewing season I brewed 15 batches, 82 gallons.
First batch was Northern Brewer Block Party Ale (extract) back in February. Graduated to BIAB starting with second batch. Since graduated to a Coleman cooler for mashing. Graduated to kegging this fall, and now have two taps in my basement fridge. I also added temperature controlled fermentation a few months ago.
In 2019 I will eventually be adding a stir plate, grain mill, and may look at a third chamber for cold crashing. I have used the fermenting chamber to cold crash before, but if I brew batches too close together that is not possible. I might also move up to 10 gallon batches, brew days are such a large investment of time it seems to make sense.

Cheers All!
Craigerrr

Back