2 questions

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
First is a question about fermentation timing ...I put up a small batch, 3 gallons, of a brown ale My starter failed so I pitched a packet of dry safale 04 to save it. So here I am at about 8 days eight days later, my bubbling is about 2 minutes apart and I have seemed to reached a steady final gravity of 1026 with my original gravity at 1055. So the question is when I'm at 10 days and the conditions are basically the same, maybe slower burbs, with the the additional yeast and still bubbling, will I be bottling too soon?
The next question is about the Pilsner I've got a that I've been lagering at 53° for the last 3 weeks. I'm looking to bottle that this week. Everything there looks stable but should I be doing anything to slowly bring the temperature back up to wake up the yeast before bottling?

I don't brew lagers so I can't answer your 2nd question but as for the 1st. Being at 1026 from 1055 seems pretty high for a finishing gravity. I would maybe try swirling the yeast or bringing up the temp a bit. If you bottle it in 2 days at 1020+, I would expect some bottle bombs or at least over carbonated beer.

1st question i second myndflytes suggestions.

2nd question i dont bottle condition any more but theoretically there should still be some susspended yeast hanging around for bottle carb. so id bottle and condition as per usuall.

Once you bottle the lager, store the bottles at room temperature so the yeast and priming sugar can can carbonate them.

Would be nice to see your recipe and process before trying to offer advice. I do agree that your FG is very high, but the reason may be diagnosed if you post the info. As for the second question, just bottle and condition at room temp.

I've been using Denny's 50 yeast and it seems to be tapping out around 1.020 for me so 1.026 might be realistic but it does seem rather high.

First is a question about fermentation timing ...I put up a small batch, 3 gallons, of a brown ale My starter failed so I pitched a packet of dry safale 04 to save it. So here I am at about 8 days eight days later, my bubbling is about 2 minutes apart and I have seemed to reached a steady final gravity of 1026 with my original gravity at 1055. So the question is when I'm at 10 days and the conditions are basically the same, maybe slower burbs, with the the additional yeast and still bubbling, will I be bottling too soon?
The next question is about the Pilsner I've got a that I've been lagering at 53° for the last 3 weeks. I'm looking to bottle that this week. Everything there looks stable but should I be doing anything to slowly bring the temperature back up to wake up the yeast before bottling?
No need to bring the temperature up. If the beer is clear at your lagering temperature, bottle it. It should carb up just fine.

Back