1st time cream mail questions

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks could I get a little feedback on 2 questions over a recipe that I'm trying for the 1st time for a cream ale that utilizes a lot of flaked maze and calls for cold crashing.

The flake maze question is for about 2 and a 1/2 pounds added to 9 pounds of 2 row...should that be capped on top of the 2 row or is it OK to mix in with the mash? My concern is a stuck sparge.

The other question has to do with cold crashing. It calls for 2 weeks of crash time after the krausen starts to drop. The question is if I can make up a week of that cold crashing in the bottle because I bottled condition?

If you want to look at the recipe search in the database here under Drew Beecham cream ale.

Thanks

Lol and thank you spell Czech!
So Much for dictating while driving Or as the kids know it voice to texting . Obviously I meant cream ale !

The flake maze question is for about 2 and a 1/2 pounds added to 9 pounds of 2 row...should that be capped on top of the 2 row or is it OK to mix in with the mash? My concern is a stuck sparge.

The other question has to do with cold crashing. It calls for 2 weeks of crash time after the krausen starts to drop. The question is if I can make up a week of that cold crashing in the bottle because I bottled condition?

If you want to look at the recipe search in the database here under Drew Beecham cream ale.

Thanks
Whenever I use any flakes I mix them in.
I've never cold crashed, but I think you should go by the gravity and make sure fermentation is done first.

I use Minute Rice as an adjunct and find rice hulls will help with the mash flow. 6-8 ounces of hulls should be enough.

You can shorten the cold crash prior to bottling. but you will have to warm the beer back up to carbonate and then crash them again to finish clearing if it's needed. It will just leave a little more sedimentation in the bottle.

I use Minute Rice as an adjunct and find rice hulls will help with the mash flow. 6-8 ounces of hulls should be enough.

You can shorten the cold crash prior to bottling. but you will have to warm the beer back up to carbonate and then crash them again to finish clearing if it's needed. It will just leave a little more sedimentation in the bottle.
Oh crap...yeah forgot that part about warm up to prime! Too many batches with Kveik!

End your stuck Sparge worries with a half or full pound of rice hulls, all mixed together with the grain and the flakes.

Back