1st Quarter Brew 2023

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Sophie did an a great job in her first duty as the Official Selector of the Quarterly Brewer!

upload_2022-12-30_20-50-25.png

@Trialben

Ben, realizing you haven't had time to work on any gluten-free beer recipes (but you could still submit one of your tried-and-true barley recipes) we had Sophie pull a runner-up in case you want to pass on your nomination. So, if Ben does pass the torch, it will go to @Megary!

upload_2022-12-30_20-56-14.png

Looking forward to whatever either of you submit!

@BarbarianBrewer , what is this? how do you get on the list? how are the recipe formats selected?

Awesome! Two accomplished brewers in these parts, I’m looking forward to what might be submitted. Good work Sophie!

@BarbarianBrewer , what is this? how do you get on the list? how are the recipe formats selected?
This has been going on now for a couple years, so it’s surprising that you don’t know about it. I think by the fact that you have posted this message, you will be entered into the ring of possible brewers for the quarterly community brew. Get @Minbari into the hat for future possible selection.

This has been going on now for a couple years, so it’s surprising that you don’t know about it. I think by the fact that you have posted this message, you will be entered into the ring of possible brewers for the quarterly community brew. Get @Minbari into the hat for future possible selection.
I’ll add you

I’ll add you
it looks like fun, but I do have questions.
Like, how is it judged? I mean I could be selected and brew anything. how do you know it is within the style or that it turned out? o_O

am I given a recipe and have to make it? or do I come up with a recipe and make it? I read the thread the @Sunfire96 posted, but am still confused. lol

it looks like fun, but I do have questions.
Like, how is it judged? I mean I could be selected and brew anything. how do you know it is within the style or that it turned out? o_O

am I given a recipe and have to make it? or do I come up with a recipe and make it? I read the thread the @Sunfire96 posted, but am still confused. lol
It's pretty casual and fun. Volunteer brewers put their name in the hat. Once a quarter a name is drawn and they suggest a recipe that we all brew. You can stick to the recipe as written, or tweak it based on what you want to make. Then we all share our thoughts about the recipe. Every suggestion has been well received thus far!

Sophie did an a great job in her first duty as the Official Selector of the Quarterly Brewer!

View attachment 23696
@Trialben

Ben, realizing you haven't had time to work on any gluten-free beer recipes (but you could still submit one of your tried-and-true barley recipes) we had Sophie pull a runner-up in case you want to pass on your nomination. So, if Ben does pass the torch, it will go to @Megary!

View attachment 23697

Looking forward to whatever either of you submit!
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at that bunyip pale! :)

It's pretty casual and fun. Volunteer brewers put their name in the hat. Once a quarter a name is drawn and they suggest a recipe that we all brew. You can stick to the recipe as written, or tweak it based on what you want to make. Then we all share our thoughts about the recipe. Every suggestion has been well received thus far!
sounds like fun, definitely in

Oh wow Fate n Fortune work In weird ways lol!

I pass the Tin on and can't eat gluten then my name gets drawn isn't it Ironic thanks Alanis Morissette:D.

Like I said to Josh in the PM it'll have to be one of my tried and tested other wise it's Aldi Cider lol!
Plus being true to the spirit of the BF Quarterly Brew one of my tried n tested is only fit.

The Bunyip pale ale.

I've gotten myself into some real messy situations drinking this beverage it creeps up on you, anyhow in the dark of night after one to many sitting around the camp fire in the bushlands of Australia them Bunyips are lurking around the billabongs waiting for some unwary traveller to stumble into their waters and never come out alive.

This similar story my dad used to tell me and my bro as we sat around the camp fire while he was drinking with his mate made me scared to go and do a wee!:eek:

Anyhow enough hoo haa

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/577204/bunyip2-0

This is the current recipe
The whole gist is a beefed up pale that has a bit more malty body too it and a bit more hops.

That velora pale is maltier than the Standard pale ale malt the Munich doubles down on that malty back bone and the wheat provides some more body and nice thick head retention.
You can choose to keep the crystal malt or sub it out for more base grain.

Any new world hop is made for this beer I've used different verietys over the years Mosaic is always a favourite I've used citra and talus in this one. But Equinox or Galaxy or Simcoe are all favourites for this beer.

It's just a good grist to try some hops with.

Cheers I'm honoured to throw my hat in the ring and be chosen as brewer of the Quarter.

I must admit this Gluten free thing has taken a big hit on me when it comes to Homebrewing as you all know on this forum I'm evolved here most days in the beer n bulshit conversations and being told oh you can't drink beer anymore let alone brew it has hit me hard where it hurts in the gahooners lol.

So to have you brew one of my favourites will be an honour for me and I can relive this beer through you all.

Cheers

Happy New Year to you all

Onwards and upwards !

Last edited:
So I got the yeast, got malted wheat & crystal malt.
But none of the others.
Can I get anywhere close with pilsner & aromatic malt?

Oh with that Bunyip traditionally it was .5kg Vienna not Munich if you wish you use Vienna I think it would be perfect :).

I just had Munich last time I brewed it.

Oh with that Bunyip traditionally it was .5kg Vienna not Munich if you wish you use Vienna I think it would be perfect :).

I just had Munich last time I brewed it.
I got neither...

Ben, can you clarify your hop stand?
I'm seeing 2 additions @ 100 c and one without a temp.
Also, 0 minutes on all of them.
Assuming this is set up for no chill brewing?

Also, can you copy and convert this?
Thinking the base malt would be Vienna?

I think I need someone that speaks " Northern Brewer".
Like the Veloria malt, is that like Maris Otter? And the others?

had to make a couple changes based on what we have here.

users%2FDXyL8ddHECPWVepsiiAP9GAlmZf2%2Fimages%2Frecipes%2FfSLspWhMoonwvA3QMv6MqDWaOsmtky%2Fimg%40640-fSLspWhMoonwvA3QMv6MqDWaOsmtky.jpeg

Bunyip2.0
Classic English-Style Pale Ale

5.1% / 12.3 °P

Recipe by

Trialben

All Grain

BIAB (Fly sparge)
75% efficiency

Batch Volume: 5.5 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 7.47 gal

HLT water: 1.6 gal