100 % pilsner malt

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Would that work for an ale?
Thinking, blonde or pale ale?
Or would it become too boring?
Thinking of noble hops. No dry hopping...

Would that work for an ale?
Thinking, blonde or pale ale?
Or would it become too boring?
Thinking of noble hops. No dry hopping...
It will certainly work! I've done this with Nottingham ale yeast and have had German relatives rave over my "Pilsner". Eventually I added a some Vienna malt and that became my "Blonde Ale" which became a base recipe for many other beers. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do a Smash with Pilsner malt!

I remember reading that most people can't taste a discernable difference between base malts, so I think you could use that pilsner to do whatever beer you want! I know you have some specialty malts too, so I think with that you could make any color beer that you might need. Or get real fancy and lightly roast some of your pilsner to make your own speciality malt :)

If the beer feels too thin, some calcium carbonate can help with a thicker mouthfeel, and some wheat or other adjunct too of course if you can get it.

I got some
Maris otter
Aroma malt
Wheat malt
Crystal malt
Cara malt
Home toasted malt, meant for mentored
Not much of each, but enough for acouple batches.
But 20 kg pilsner malt ;)
So thought maybe nice to try on its own

I stole a recipe from a Dutch home brew site
100 % Pilsner malt

Hop
Hallertau tradition or Saaz: 60 min - 17 IBU
Spalt select: 15 min - 7 IBU
Spalt select: 05 min - 3 IBU

Yeast
Recipe is for Kolsch, but it was suggested it would work very well with Saison as well. Still got 1/2 pack of M29 French Saison.

Mash schedule
45 min at 65 oC
30 min at 72 oC
I would like to change this to a one-step mash. 1 hour at 67 oC?

ABV
Thinking of aiming for about 5%

Anything I should be doing different?

67c is perfect allows for it to drop into 65c territory anyhow. The 72 is a dextrine rest still below mash out it won't matter in my opinion.
That looks like a goer

I stole a recipe from a Dutch home brew site
100 % Pilsner malt

Hop
Hallertau tradition or Saaz: 60 min - 17 IBU
Spalt select: 15 min - 7 IBU
Spalt select: 05 min - 3 IBU

Yeast
Recipe is for Kolsch, but it was suggested it would work very well with Saison as well. Still got 1/2 pack of M29 French Saison.

Mash schedule
45 min at 65 oC
30 min at 72 oC
I would like to change this to a one-step mash. 1 hour at 67 oC?

ABV
Thinking of aiming for about 5%

Anything I should be doing different?
Sounds like a great plan! I'd be interested to hear the results!

Boil 90 minutes. That's my only recommendation - usually this is done with floor malted pilsner to drive off dms so you may not need to do it all if you're using highly modified pils malt and can also rapidly cool. Up to you!

Since I started doing it with Pilsner malt I have liked the results enough that everything I do is 90 minute boil. While this might seem foolish to some, it's just become part of my routine and I like it.

I've no idea what type of pilsner malt this is and I can't cool very quickly, so I am going to take your advice and boil 90 minutes.
Cooling will be in a waterbath at first, followed by adding ice cold water (previously boiled).
Trying to make an 8 litre batch and my pot is only 8 litres ;)

Okay, this one is ready to bottle and I'll put another batch on the trub. 100% pilsner malt again.
I was thinking of using different hops.
Any suggestions anyone?
Or should I do the same recipe and add lime zest and lemongrass?
Note that I haven't tasted it yet....

I like Belgian beer/Saisons. A Belgian is perfect for 100% Pilsner. They are extremely yeast driven. I just did a Single that I will improve at some point, but it was all Pilsner with the exception of 1/2 lb Biscuit. I used Saaz & Fuggle in mine. If you use something like a WLP 550, make sure you have a blow off tube. The stuff is nuts.
Either 550 or French Saison yeast will tolerate higher temperatures. Start at around 68. After two days or so, increase a degree or two each day until around 74. French Saison, at least the Wyeast which I have worked with will ferment down to nothing with a fermentable wort. I mashed at 148 with a little candi syrup and wound up with FG at 1.002.

Something else I forgot:
If you make a Saison, try one after a normal amount of fermentation time. If you don't like it, let the rest sit for a couple of weeks. I was pis*ed when I first tasted mine, but it was damn good about three weeks later.
Also, invest in a wort chiller. Life is much easier with toys, even if going low tech with 80-degree Florida faucet water.

I like the recommendation from @Sandy Feet . However, if you don't try that maybe consider using an American or English Hop variety! Like East Kent Golding or Cascade... I think both would work nice with pils malt. OR - Tettnanger or German Opal if you wanted to stay German.

:) Can't wait to hear what you think! (and hopefully see a pic!)

Y'all might have to excuse me tonight as I have been into the homebrew, but I also became intrigued with the idea of some sort of Pilsner single hop (maybe Cascade or Mosaic) Pale Ale or IPL. Yummm.

But Josh,
I own a flip phone LOL.
I can contribute drinking a Funky Buddha Floridian and previously a Belgian Single homebrew :)

Thanks!
The yeast is a given, as I'll use the trub of other batch, so that's Lallemand French Saison (with spalt & hallertau tradition)
No temperature control. I'll just have to deal with what the weather and my cooler box decide.
Previous saison (same yeast) was with tettnang & styrian goldings
I got East Kent Golding and Cascade, so I could try that option
And I got Saaz & Fuggles as well.

I'm not really good with hops.
What can I expect in taste difference between Goldings/Cascade vs Saaz/Fuggles?

I might go for that real scientific solution of diving into the bag with hops and let the first one out decide ;)

Back