I brewed today!

Was going to brew a wit beer today - day off work looking after kids for school holidays.

Weather packed in, and I brew outside so brew day postponed to next weekend.

:cry:

Gern: Pitch in the mid '70s, start warming on day 2. I use a heating blanket in a cable tub. And this time I let the temps get to 100° before I checked! Doesn't appear to damage the beer, though, no fusels or excessive esters to contend with.

Nosybear said:
Gern: Pitch in the mid '70s, start warming on day 2. I use a heating blanket in a cable tub. And this time I let the temps get to 100° before I checked! Doesn't appear to damage the beer, though, no fusels or excessive esters to contend with.

I would imagine the yeast love that warm environment. Happy workers are productive workers.

Keeps them from stalling as badly, something 3724 loves to do.

American Amber is on its way to beer perfection. Sniffing the airlock is a wonderful experience.

Finally got the Wit done. Missed my numbers though, haven't had that problem for a while........

I brewed today:: Silver Streak, Rye Pale Ale, Batch Code #025!

I brewed my Oatmeal Stout today. I bumped up the oatmeal a bit and ended with an OG of 1.071. :shock:
Should be nice and chewy!
I'm gonna finish it on coffee and enjoy breakfast for a while! :mrgreen:
Brian

BM - can you share your oatmeal stout recipe?

I just brewed! :)
My very first attempt with Mandarina Bavaria. Can't wait to taste/smell how it turns out.
Nothing out of the ordinary brew-wise, though I did end up with 27l. of wort. Should have gotten 26-26.5. If my OG is still on target I'll be stoked. [EDIT: just checked, bang on efficiency! Must have just had a bit less boil-off this time...]
The Mandarina Bavaria came as vacuum packed "powder". Trying to break it up, it reminded me of a brick of hash... :lol:

Krimbos said:
BM - can you share your oatmeal stout recipe?

Give me a call at the store and I'll share it with you.
Brian ;)

Yesterday: re-racked with fresh hops the only beer I got for local beer contest. Will bottle next weekend.
Either it's worth entering or it's not, I'm not changing my brew schedule because they changed the rules... guess we'll know in about a month.

I brewed one for the ages yesterday with a good friend of mine.
A big English Barleywine.
10 gallons and 47# of grain!
OG 1.111
Est FG 1.026
Est ABV 12.6%
I brewed a mild (1.033) 5 days prior to use as a yeast starter. This worked very well. I racked the mild to a keg and was able to harvest just over 2 quarts of healthy active slurry to pitch. I had airlock activity in under an hour.
This morning its stable @ 66° and fermenting very vigorously. :mrgreen:
Brian

Hey Brian,

may i ask what yeast you are using to handle that kind of ABV? ...and did you aereate?
I am starting to think about how to brex my X-Mas IIPA this year, and am just curious. :)

Cheers
Gabe

sbaclimber said:
Hey Brian,

may i ask what yeast you are using to handle that kind of ABV? ...and did you aereate?
I am starting to think about how to brex my X-Mas IIPA this year, and am just curious. :)

Cheers
Gabe

I used WLP013. If it stalls too high, I may re-pitch with a champagne yeast but I don't think that'll be a problem.
I aerated for 1 minute with pure oxygen and a diffusion stone.
If you don't have pure oxygen, you should re-aerate after 12 hours.
Hope this helps
Brian

The Brew Mentor said:
sbaclimber said:
Hey Brian,

Cheers
Gabe

I used WLP013. If it stalls too high, I may re-pitch with a champagne yeast but I don't think that'll be a problem.
I aerated for 1 minute with pure oxygen and a diffusion stone.
If you don't have pure oxygen, you should re-aerate after 12 hours.
Hope this helps
Brian
Cool, thanks for the info!

I brewed 12 gallons of IIPA on Sat night, "Old School style" at home with my brother in law :mrgreen:

Update on the Barleywine..
OG 1.111
FG 1.022
13.13% ABV
79% apparent attenuation

I kept it stable at 68° for the entire 2 weeks.
This will be ready much sooner than I expected. The sample from today was very nice. Warm and toasty with a nice caramel and slight raisin character. Very nice and firm bittering on the back end. I expect this to start drinking around the holidays. Definitely only a snifter at a time @ over 13%. :shock:
Come on Christmas!
Brian

The Brew Mentor said:
Update on the Barleywine..
OG 1.111
FG 1.022
13.13% ABV
79% apparent attenuation

I kept it stable at 68° for the entire 2 weeks.
This will be ready much sooner than I expected. The sample from today was very nice. Warm and toasty with a nice caramel and slight raisin character. Very nice and firm bittering on the back end. I expect this to start drinking around the holidays. Definitely only a snifter at a time @ over 13%. :shock:
Come on Christmas!
Brian
Sounds awesome! :p

Back