Carafoam/Carapils

jmac67%

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been using a small amount of carafoam for head retention, body in my DIPAs.I like the results. Would switching to Carapils be any advantage other than being a little lighter %L ?

I have not used carafoam, but I typically use either some carapils or wheat malt in almost all of my brews for head retention. Carapils if I need extra body, wheat malt if I just want a bit better head retention.

I have not used carafoam, but I typically use either some carapils or wheat malt in almost all of my brews for head retention. Carapils if I need extra body, wheat malt if I just want a bit better head retention.
Thanks, I also use Flaked Wheat, Oats. Probably don't need the carafoam or carapils, just a creature of habit. I make the opaque, soft creamy IPAs.

I don't care to use any Cara/Crystal malts in most recipes so I use a little wheat malt plus a dextrin rest or I'll throw in some flaked barley. Flaked oats, barley or wheat will give much the same results as Carafoam or Carapils, but if you're getting the results you want, I wouldn't change a thing. ;)

Carapils is a proprietary, trademarked malt exclusively produced by Briess.
Other Maltsters make malts that are similar, but not the same.
I'd say try it out and note any differences you detect.
And... share your results here!
Cheers,
Brian

Carafoam, Carapils, both dextrin malts from my understanding. I recently made the switch to Great Western's DextraPils, another dextrin malt, and it looks, feels, and chews identical to CaraPils. CaraFoam has always had a different texture in the raw kernel than the other two, but I haven't seen a difference between them after the beer ferments.

From my experience, as long as it is less than 10% of your grain bill you will most likely not notice the difference.

I've only just started using "dextrin malt" again in my last two beers I notice a slight sweetness on the back end or finish for hoppy beers I've found it's bodes well in the beer but in the pilsner I put it in I'd rather it finish more dry...
As for head no more than I usually get but body wise yep box ticked:).

I will be able to get a reference on this April 1, tapping two Czech lagers. Single infusion with Viking Dextrine malt and triple decoction with only Viking Pilsner malt, I’ll get back to you.

I use oats for my brews, I might still have some Carapils from 2 years ago I should use up though.

Back