US-05 D-rest temp?

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Um.........now I am confused (and a bit afraid I may have screwed up).
I am using US-05 for the very first time, and after 7 days at 15°-17°(temp got away from me during the 2 days @ high krausen :roll: ) just raised the temp to 22° for a D-rest and to finish up fermentation.
...then I read this: http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010_TT_EN_HD.pdf
"Diacetyl rest temperature - Decrease temperature from 20°C (68°F) to 16-17°C (60-62°F) for 24 hours"

Should I be worried? :shock:

I use 05 a lot and most of the time it is yeast I am reusing, I like 05 at 18C (64-65 F)

too cold US-05 will get a peachy taste, I brew mostly ales with it and have my batches in the kegs in 10 to 14 days

so here goes the questions I assume 15-17 c is your wort temps ? you say it got away from you how high did it go ?

soon as I hit my FG and it is stable I will rise mine to 20c (68f) for 24 hours then cold crash at 0c (32f) for 48 hours, then keg

are you doing a d-rest because you think you have a need to ? 05 is a clean yeast I have never had it product an off flavor

how big of a batch? how much yeast did you pitch?

all the best

S_M

Thanks for the reply!

social_misfit said:
too cold US-05 will get a peachy taste, I brew mostly ales with it and have my batches in the kegs in 10 to 14 days
I am brewing an IPA, so "peachy" I can deal with. If I don't like it, I'll raise the temp next time.

social_misfit said:
so here goes the questions I assume 15-17 c is your wort temps ? you say it got away from you how high did it go ?
Yes, wort temp. "got away" just means I was hoping to hold it at 15°, but it got up to 17° before I noticed and set the fridge colder to compensate and get it back down to 15°. It still didn't really get back below 16° until the fermentation slowed a bit (2-3 days).

social_misfit said:
are you doing a d-rest because you think you have a need to ? 05 is a clean yeast I have never had it product an off flavor
2 reasons
1) force of habit. WLP007 was a really tricky yeast to work with, so I just got used to a d-rest
2) I am hoping to brew again this coming weekend and need the space. So, I am trying to get fermenation over by Friday. :p

social_misfit said:
how big of a batch? how much yeast did you pitch?
26l @ 14.2° OG
I pitched 3x 11.5g packets

when they talk about temp ranges of yeast its for the actual yeast not the air around the fermenter, just to give an example my last batch the air temp was 62 and after high krausen the wort reached 67 and the air was still 62 as yeast get busy they do heat up from 5 to 10 degrees for at least 3 days.

now for your question, Ive never used a d-rest rest for 05, I just try to keep the high krausen period under 67 if possible and its fine, now letting the temp rise to 75 for 2 days and you might get some off flavors

personally anything over 1.050 I use 2 packets of dry yeast just to be safe

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
now letting the temp rise to 75 for 2 days and you might get some off flavors

personally anything over 1.050 I use 2 packets of dry yeast just to be safe
I used 3, just to be extra safe. :lol:

I guess it is a bit too late to lower the temp now, so I guess I will just wait and see what it tastes like in the end.
Live and learn. :oops:
Normally I wouldn't try rushing a brew like this, so hears to hoping it will at least be drinkable....

all beer can be fixed, too thick add water too thin mix with another beer, bad taste, add 2 ounces of cascade in a bag, my (fix all) of course I keg so that sounds easy lol

Taste the beer. Do you taste diacetyl? If not, your cool.
Diacetyl is always produced, and normally the yeast will consume it at the end of fermentation. Ale yeast at ale temperatures produce little diacetyl, and as they are at warmer temps will continue to work, and can consume it within its active life. Yeast at lager temps produce more diacetyl, but can slow down at the end of fermentation and leave it behind. Notice I said slow down. Lager yeast will continue to work only more slowly, so even without a D rest, given enough time the diacetyl will be consumed. The d rest is a short cut. By increasing the temperatures at the end of fermentation, the yeast will become more active and clean up the beer more quickly.

That being said, I have never done a D rest with an ale yeast, but I leave it on the yeast for three weeks, then keg. I also don't do a D rest with lagers. I warm it up a few degrees, but then leave it on the yeast for about a month. Then lager for 2 months at 34F (1c). Never had a hint of it.

Taste the beer. Don't solve a problem you don't have.

Getting to 17 deg is no issue. I usually brew 05 at 18 deg, never given it a d rest.

I think you will be fine.

Thank you all for your replies and additional info!
Now I can't wait for fermentation to end and get my first taste of what I have produced.
In future, I will definitely wait a lot longer before raising the temp right before bottling.

Back