Bittering Hops

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Down to my last couple ounces of Magnum, my LHBS only has 1 ounce packages of Magnum ATM, thinking about getting a pound of Warrior. The price is right for the Warrior. Thoughts, opinions?

Used it once when I couldn't get any magnum. Don't remember noticing the difference much, but can't rememener what types of beers I used it in.

I used German Magnum for bittering in almost all of my APAs and IPAs for years. Bought a pound of Warrior a few months ago and haven't really seen much difference. Just about ready to use it in a single hop brew to see what it brings in flavor and aroma.

When I first started HB a few years back I'd buy the highest Alpha Acid hop i could find and bitter with that but just bought Magnum seeing lots of hombrewers bitter with it.

Not sure if there's been an exbeeriment on that if there is a perceptible difference from two beers one bittered with clean bittering magnum and one with let's say galaxy?

Not sure if there's been an exbeeriment on that if there is a perceptible difference from two beers one bittered with clean bittering magnum and one with let's say galaxy?
I would argue there is, but only based on the couple of times I have done it. I am also a Magnum bitterer, but have tried out a couple (non-magnum) SMaSMs along the way and even early on used other hops for bittering. My base recipe and style of beer rarely changes much, so I tend to think what I perceived as a difference (flavor / aroma / etc) was in fact present, but it may of course have just been psychological... :rolleyes:

I would offer my next brew as a comparison candidate, but not only will I be doing SH with Mandarina Bavaria but also changing the yeast from US-5 to W-34/70....so unfortunately, there will be a lot more than the bittering hops to affect some differences.

Thanks for the input, I have Magnum left for one more brew, will probably pick up a sack of Warrior on my next trip to the LHBS

Thanks for the input, I have Magnum left for one more brew, will probably pick up a sack of Warrior on my next trip to the LHBS
I like to support my LHBS as much as possible but they don't have the price or selection of YVHops.com. Right now $10 USD for a pound of 2018 warrior. Not sure what shipping would be for our northern friends.;)
Edit: Just spotted $33 for international shipping for 4#. Guess not a great deal. Still less than $20 per pound for hops.

Last edited:
When I first started HB a few years back I'd buy the highest Alpha Acid hop i could find and bitter with that but just bought Magnum seeing lots of hombrewers bitter with it.

There's some evidence of difference but it's hard to act on. Test and see.

I have been using Warrior for bittering for the past 3 years. Mostly cuz I get them with most of the other hops I use at YVH. Going to try Magnum for the first time this week on a Session IPA. But I’m also switching to RO on that beer.

I figure the best way to answer this question is with an exbeerment as Ben suggests.

Here's how to test: Brew a small batch of extract beer using only the 60 minute hop charge, say DME and only the hop, fermented with something like US05. See if you can taste the hops. You'll be surprised how much and what flavors remain.

Back