Minimum Temp for D-rest?

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I usually just bump all the way up to 68 near the end of fermentation but I'm using some More Beer fermenters with the Peltier chip coolers and they're slow to cool. I don't want to go any higher than necessary so I can save time on getting them back down to lagering temps.
My fermentation temp has been 55 with S-23 and 34/70. Recon a few days at 62 or so would suffice? I don't usually worry too much about diacetyl with these yeasts any, especially if they're fermenting above 52. These are big batches and I definitely want to be safe rather than sorry. ;)
Opinions?

Warmer is better: there's very little to sustain the yeast so they eat diacetyl. Warmer means the yeast are more active so the few remaining active cells can do their jobs better.

I don't like to see the temperature above 62-64F on a lager d-rest, but I don't think 68 is bad either. Most time times it may not be necessary anyway, but 2-3 days at 62 will work. It's best to have a little gravity left to ferment, so to leave it at 62F for 3-4 days won't hurt a bit.

I ferment my lagers @ 45-48F for 8-9 days and raise them to 62-63 for 7-10 days before crashing. Sometimes the temp goes over that, but it doesn't seem to hurt. I never have any butter.

Most time times it may not be necessary anyway, but 2-3 days at 62 will work. It's best to have a little gravity left to ferment, so to leave it at 62F for 3-4 days won't hurt a bit.
Yeah, that's what my gut says...I'm already fermenting at mid-range so I could probably just skip it but the combination of 44 and 62 should knock out any possibility of diacetyl. I always start raising when there's still 5-10 points left to go. I should be able to raise a couple of degrees a day and let it run it's course.

Back