Bread Thread!

I'm coming in a little late on this conversation. Hope that's okay.

I recently had success on my third attempt to create a sourdough starter. The first two didn't work out. On the third attempt, I followed King Arthur's directions. My starter took several more days than the directions indicated. One of my first attempts was probably okay but I gave up too soon, and each attempt was following different directions, including one using pineapple juice.

I'm certainly no expert, but a few things that helped me:
  • Keep the starter a bit wet. I adjusted the direction's "scant" 1 cup flour measure based on how thick the starter was at the time of feeding. It seemed to grow better with a wet mixture. It was wet enough to... slowly... pour out the amount to discard.
  • Rather than trying to mix dry flour, water, and starter together, I pre-mixed the feeder separately, and added that to [EDIT: mixed into] the reserved starter. I seemed to get a good mix with this method.
  • From what I researched, (same as brewing) don't use chlorinated water. I'm on a well, so I didn't have that concern, but I'd use spring or bottled water if I had to, or maybe tap water treated with Campden tablets.
  • I kept the starter on top of the refrigerator where it's a bit warmer than on the countertop. That seemed to be warm enough for me.
  • I determined that the starter was ready when it would double within a couple hours of feeding.
On my first sourdough bread, I was amazed at the amount of rise. I'd never seen regular yeast bread rise that much.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
After about 3 1/2 weeks with less than stellar results, I've laid my latest starter to rest and am trying a different recipe. This time using half whole wheat flour and half unbleached AP with filtered water instead of all whole wheat and pineapple juice. When I lived on the coast it was as simple as flour/water and a week to ten days and you had a very active starter. Here, I had mold problems with earlier attempts and just a lack of vigor in the last one. Determined to find something that works. If this one doesn't, I'll do a hybrid and start off with some bread yeast and yogurt in the mix.

So far mine has worked great. I did the 50/50 split with ap and wheat flours. Beginners luck! :D
I did a couple of yeast loaves earlier in the week. Wheat bread that turned out very nice.

Great. Nothing like some nice sourdough. I was raised in Fan Francisco and really miss the great sourdough bread there , Not much else I miss except the fishing. That place has really turned into a toilet.

After about 3 1/2 weeks with less than stellar results, I've laid my latest starter to rest and am trying a different recipe. This time using half whole wheat flour and half unbleached AP with filtered water instead of all whole wheat and pineapple juice. When I lived on the coast it was as simple as flour/water and a week to ten days and you had a very active starter. Here, I had mold problems with earlier attempts and just a lack of vigor in the last one. Determined to find something that works. If this one doesn't, I'll do a hybrid and start off with some bread yeast and yogurt in the mix.
Bloody he'll bob I'd of thought there would be enough yeast floating around your house to inoculate it in an instant. Good luck with this one you will crack it just a matter of time!

I'm struggling big time with a 75% hydration sourdough! Sticky as hell! I've ended up shaping and benching (check out that bakers vocab:D) with a bit more flour, but I guess it's the rookie in me that felt like I was working with a bowl of oatmeal more than a bowl of dough!

Last edited:
I'm struggling big time with a 75% hydration sourdough! Sticky as hell! I've ended up shaping and benching (check out that backers vocab:D) with a bit more flour, but I guess it's the rookie in me that felt like I was working with a bowl of oatmeal more than a bowl of dough!
I've been there it's not fun it's a sticky mess!
You got a bench scraper that is what I see the sourdough pros using for the final dough shaping.
I made my own out of an ice cream container lid but it's not strong enough for some dough I'm sticking with 65% for now :).

I've been there it's not fun it's a sticky mess!
You got a bench scraper that is what I see the sourdough pros using for the final dough shaping.
I made my own out of an ice cream container lid but it's not strong enough for some dough I'm sticking with 65% for now :).
Haha, I have one. Dough sticks there too!

Here's this morning's 65% hydration dough this one baked in oven 250c 17min 200c 25min.
20200223_093732.jpg

Looks great! I think I'm going to do a poolish batch for this coming weekends bake.

I let my starter out and go for a 1.5 weeks without doing anything to it.
I opened it up lat night and it had a really strong acidic smell.
I wasn't willing to chance it so I dumped it and will start again soon.
Has anyone proceeded with a starter that smelled like straight vinegar?
Brian

Back