Breakfast Cereal Yield

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the yield in ppg of breakfast cereals like Life or Wheat Chex? Our club is having a "breakfast cereal beer" challenge. I want to do a "Mikey Likes It" Pale Ale using Life cereal. No idea how much the cereal, which I plan to crush and mash, will contribute. I do know it's rather high in sodium but it shouldn't reach a problem level.

Any ideas as to how much the cereal will contribute? If not, I'll make a guess of 28 ppg, mashed (similar to malted grain) and adjust once I have wort with either water or DME.

No idea, but can you do a mini-mash and take a reading? Say like 8oz of cereal in a quart of 150* H2O for half an hour, then take the "OG".

Just look on the nutrition label. The total grams of sugar can be used as a direct measurement for table sugar in the ingredient section of the recipe. Whatever total grams of carbohydrates (starch) are there can be treated as cereal adjunct - flaked corn, flaked wheat, etc. That should get you close.

Just look on the nutrition label. The total grams of sugar can be used as a direct measurement for table sugar in the ingredient section of the recipe. Whatever total grams of carbohydrates (starch) are there can be treated as cereal adjunct - flaked corn, flaked wheat, etc. That should get you close.
That makes great sense! Thanks!

Reactions: J A

Back