Heating wort with an immersion heater and hot plate.

Voltmonger

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi first time posting here so here goes. I'm wondering if anyone has used an electric immersion heater along with a 1500w electric hot plate for a 2-1/2 to 3 gallon wort boil. A 1500 watt hot plate is to small to keep up a good boil and takes forever to boil a large pot I think adding an immersion heater would add the needed heat. The hot plate could be turned down for control. Had anyone done this? How did it work? Any of your suggestions with a reasonable budget would help me get setup again

What The you gunna boil a pot of water on your 1500w hot plate that's got an imersion chiller in the boiling water and pump wort through it?o_O

The most efficient way to heat wort is stick the electric element directly in the wort.

You might loose a bit of heat efficiency going The IC route

I use an electric vessel for making 3 gallon batches. It is 1600 watts. I get a pretty good boil. Keep in mind that my vessel is insulated. If you insulate your brew pot, you might be able to get a decent boil depending on the geometry of the burner and kettle.

For an immersion heater, some users recommend a maximum of 50 watts per square inch to prevent scorching.

Hi first time posting here so here goes. I'm wondering if anyone has used an electric immersion heater along with a 1500w electric hot plate for a 2-1/2 to 3 gallon wort boil. A 1500 watt hot plate is to small to keep up a good boil and takes forever to boil a large pot I think adding an immersion heater would add the needed heat. The hot plate could be turned down for control. Had anyone done this? How did it work? Any of your suggestions with a reasonable budget would help me get setup again
I used to use my stove and an immersion heater and it worked great. After I reached a boil, I could turn the stovetop to low and with the heat stick I had no issues boiling over 8+ gallons.

Thank you for the comments. I'm still torn but am leaning toward building my own natural gas burner. Probably a two burner unit. all I have to do is find a burner and valve that is rated for low pressure natural gas. In the mean time I'm going with the 1500w plate and 1000w immersion heater. That should give me a nice controllable boil. Again thanks for your time. Happy brewing

Hi, I wanted to update you regarding my post. I returned two not plate and a 1500 watt bucket heater. All have safety shutdown and will not boil two or three gallons. I would not recommend electric heaters for boiling wort. With that said I purchased a two burner job with a 33is and a 15 is natural gas burner. It came with both natural gas and propane gas orifice. It works great My first use build a in 30 minutes. The job is a Vevor # 3250 on sale for $68.00 It looks like a small countertop stove and ukulele have to make a base for it. Well worth the time. Again thank you for your help.
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG

That should work, I have 2 1500W heat sticks that I use for my strike water and then I use propane for the boil. I just found electric took to long. It'll definitely boil, just takes way longer than with gas.

I have a induction plate but my boil kettle isn't magnetic so I can't use it.

Back