2 kegs, 1 tank - am I doing it wrong?

Anth M

Trial Member
Reaction score
G'day brewers,

I have 2 kegs in a commercial kegerator (1 beer, 1 soda water). They are fed by 1 gas tank via a tee piece. I don't force carb the beer - I just set and forget it at 10-12 psi. However I force carb the water at 40 psi but when I do this I disconnect the beer gas line.

I've noticed after force carbing the water that when I connect both gas lines up, the regulator shoots to 15-20 psi with lots of hissing and I have to use the pressure release valve to get it back to 10 psi.

My question is, will any of the gas from the force carbed water keg (40 psi) go into my beer get (10 psi) resulting in over carbonated beer? I ask because after a few weeks of perfect pours I start to get foam. Am I doing something wrong? Should I use set and forget method for the water?

Cheers!

Yes, that could happen especially if you don’t have check valves installed.

You really need a separate regulator to have two different pressures. You can get a secondary regulator and then have no issues. That’s what I had to do- have a different regulator for my seltzer water and keep the original one for my beer.

Interesting question. As a non-expert my thoughts would be:

Force carbing is force carbing regardless of the pressure so you're force carbing both kegs, just trying to get different PSI.

Without non-return valves (corny kegs? Sankey fittings do have non-returns) then surely once you connect both kegs then they are also connected to each other by default and the gas is going to try to even up the pressure between the two kegs. Unless you purge the 40psi one back down to 10-12psi, which would negate the point of the 40psi, the 40psi is going to invade the 12psi.

As I say, only my thoughts, but that would be my take on it.

You really need a separate regulator to have two different pressures. You can get a secondary regulator and then have no issues. That’s what I had to do- have a different regulator for my seltzer water and keep the original one for my beer. you

What he said :) Posted at the same time!

We keep seltzer water on tap often and I don't have any issues, but it does take a small amount of planning and a few adjustments. When I make my water (force carb) I do it quickly as there's really no body to it so there's little chance of over head issues and not much worries about over carbing. I turn the gas lines off to my beer lines, set my pressure to the water keg to 50 psi and leave it for 8-10 hours. I disconnect the gas line to the water keg and reduce the pressure at the reg using my finger at the disconnect to relieve built up pressure. Release the built up pressure on the keg and set the regulator back to your beer serving pressure and you should be good to go. The carbonation will improve over the next several days on the water, but I usually find it immediately drinkable. I usually carry this out while I'm working that way I won't be wanting to pull off the beer taps. :D
Basically in a nutshell, have your water and beer at the same serving pressure. I have no issues or complaints from anyone doing it like this. Otherwise, your best option is as yooper describes. Get another reg or one that can adjust to different pressures.

Just to add to the mix, water is a lower gravity and it's easier to dissolve co2 into it than a higher gravity beer or soda.

I have my soda water set to 30 psi, but my beer at 12 psi- that’s why I need a different regulator. I like my fizzy water really fizzy, and I use 25 feet of beer line to dispense it, otherwise it shoots out like a firehose. I also dispense soda at a higher carb level like that, when I have it. I rarely have root beer on tap, since my kids are long grown up and I’ve become an anti-sugar Nazi, but for parties where I’m bringing beer I will sometimes bring soda. That’s at 30 psi also.

I bought this when I got into kegging. A bit of a splurge for sure, but its great for running two kegs off of one tank.

https://beveragelements.com/beverag...l-body-co2-regulator-triple-gauge-two-outlet/
For sure the better and correct way to go. My cheap way serves my purposes though, but I do regret not spending the little extra at the time for the dual reg. Dropping a big chunk of coin all at once though on a complete tap and keezer set up gets pricey quick!

We keep seltzer water on tap often and I don't have any issues, but it does take a small amount of planning and a few adjustments. When I make my water (force carb) I do it quickly as there's really no body to it so there's little chance of over head issues and not much worries about over carbing. I turn the gas lines off to my beer lines, set my pressure to the water keg to 50 psi and leave it for 8-10 hours. I disconnect the gas line to the water keg and reduce the pressure at the reg using my finger at the disconnect to relieve built up pressure. Release the built up pressure on the keg and set the regulator back to your beer serving pressure and you should be good to go. The carbonation will improve over the next several days on the water, but I usually find it immediately drinkable. I usually carry this out while I'm working that way I won't be wanting to pull off the beer taps. :D
Basically in a nutshell, have your water and beer at the same serving pressure. I have no issues or complaints from anyone doing it like this. Otherwise, your best option is as yooper describes. Get another reg or one that can adjust to different pressures.
I hear you. working from home + tap beer = dangerous combo :)

Thanks for your advise, I'll give your method a shot!

You really need a separate regulator to have two different pressures. You can get a secondary regulator and then have no issues. That’s what I had to do- have a different regulator for my seltzer water and keep the original one for my beer.
Thank Yooper. I should have mentioned that I'm happy for the serving pressure for both beer and water to be 10 psi. That's why I assumed 1 reg would have been OK. But the fact get I get foam after a few weeks (during which time a new water keg would have been hooked up) leads me to think the 40 psi keg is invading the 10 psi keg as Steve suggested.

Interesting question. As a non-expert my thoughts would be:

Force carbing is force carbing regardless of the pressure so you're force carbing both kegs, just trying to get different PSI.

Without non-return valves (corny kegs? Sankey fittings do have non-returns) then surely once you connect both kegs then they are also connected to each other by default and the gas is going to try to even up the pressure between the two kegs. Unless you purge the 40psi one back down to 10-12psi, which would negate the point of the 40psi, the 40psi is going to invade the 12psi.

As I say, only my thoughts, but that would be my take on it.
Thanks Steve, I guess the best way to prove the point is to ditch force carbing water and just leave reg at 10 psi all the time and do set and forget for both.

Cheers!

10 psi soda water doesn't do it for me. Comes across as still water with an annoying acid flavour.

Relatively affordable option - https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight...-gauge-for-water-or-gas-8mm-5-16-push-in.html

Nice video at the bottom explaining options. I'm planning to add these as my ancient inline regulator has just fallen apart.

Or as Yooper mentioned above, add a lot more tubing to the beer keg and shorten the soda water line and use a higher pressure for both (not as good an option as an inline regulator in my experience).

10 psi soda water doesn't do it for me. Comes across as still water with an annoying acid flavour.

Relatively affordable option - https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight...-gauge-for-water-or-gas-8mm-5-16-push-in.html

Nice video at the bottom explaining options. I'm planning to add these as my ancient inline regulator has just fallen apart.

Or as Yooper mentioned above, add a lot more tubing to the beer keg and shorten the soda water line and use a higher pressure for both (not as good an option as an inline regulator in my experience).
Thanks Mark, I never knew those inline regs existed. Was thinking of buying a dual pressure reg from those guys so you've saved me.

Cheers!

Neat option that, cheap too.

Back