Blackberry NEIPA

weazelwacker

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good morning Ladies, Gentlemen or Whatever

I will start by saying that I have never brewed an NEIPA, and I am interested in your feedback. This is the recipe that I have been playing around with:

5 GAL. OG: 1.061 (BIAB)

8# 2-Row
2# Red Wheat
2# Flaked Barley
60 min mash @ 152° mash out @ 170°

60 min Boil
1oz Citra
1oz Galaxy
both at 10 min.

US-05 yeast.

Dry hop Schedule
3oz Sovereign (7 days)
2oz Galena (5 days)
2oz Mosaic (5 days)

I plan to add 5 lbs of fresh blackberries on the same day I add the Sovereign Hops, probably day 5 of fermentation.

Interesting flavor mix. I was told when getting advice on a NEIPA that there technically no boil hops. I only do whirlpool, and dry hop additions in my NEIPA.

I'm pretty much the same as Craigerr. I have made quite a few New England IPAs I do a bittering hop at 60 minutes, usually Columbus and then all other hops are at whirlpool and dry hopped. I'm interested to see how it turns out with BlackBerries. Recipe looks good though

NEIPA's as with any other beer is a matter of what you like in an IPA. If you want a very hoppy hazy brew, then bittering hops would boil longer. If you want to offset the sweetness with the hop bitterness, aroma and taste, then you would back off on the long boiling hops and as others have stated, more whirlpool hops and dry hopping is the way to go. I have done both and have gotten varying results.

Alright. I brewed the beer last Wednesday. ended up using simcoe in place of the sovereign due to availability. Endded up with an OG of 1.072. Added the 3 oz of simcoe on sunday and plan to add the rest this Wednesday. Just need to deside on whether to use 5 or 10# of blackberries.

Nice! Look forward to hearing how this turns out

Neipa? There is still a lot ahead of me because I hear that first time. It's good that I joined this forum

Back