Pin lock or Ball Lock

• Pin Lock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ball Lock

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just able to acquire 2 kegs from my brother's father in law.

1 is a pin lock and the other is a ball lock. I'd like to change out the posts so they are the same.

Is there any advantage of 1 over the other?

Any feedback would be appreciated... Thanks!

I'm using ball locks and that's about all I know. Don't know of any advantage to either.

I'm only relaying what I've read online is that pin locks are going to be more available as ball locks disappear hence the price will be cheaper for pin locks which reflects what I'm seeing price wise in Aus.

I think if your starting kegging it's a decision you need to make right at the start and just stick to one or the other from there.

I'd say more brewing contraptions favour ball lock posts too btw.

Ball locks are lot easier to get parts for and are far more common. The bigger thing is just pick one and stick with it though.

I'm only relaying what I've read online is that pin locks are going to be more available as ball locks disappear hence the price will be cheaper for pin locks which reflects what I'm seeing price wise in Aus. I think if your starting kegging it's a decision you need to make right at the start and just stick to one or the other from there. I'd say more brewing contraptions favour ball lock posts too btw.

That’s a bit odd because all the new kegs and supplies I’m seeing for sale in the States are ball lock.

That’s a bit odd because all the new kegs and supplies I’m seeing for sale in the States are ball lock.

Yup, and both new and used prices have been coming down here.

Well I'll be theire wee bit cheaper on sale used that is on one of a major sellers here in Aus. I'm glad to be corrected if your seeing prices for the ball locks dropping tis a good thing for us here in Aus:)

Oh it's also my understanding that ball lock are old Coca cola kegs and pin locks Pepsi kegs?

I think it's more the function of homebrew kegs having been an industry relying on second hand soft drink kegs. As we've grown and there's fewer and fewer second hand ones from soft drink (especially ball lock) we're now moving to being supplied kegs built specifically for home brewers. So if you want to rely on second hand soft drink kegs you'll probably get better pricing and availability from pin locks.

Actual functional differences? Most pin locks don't have a pressure relief valve. I find the PRV really handy.

Ah I see that's why their cheaper ball lock I recon us more versatile all them bubble fermentors come standard with ball posts and the carb caps are ball lock.
So that's be a PITA if you had pin lock gearo_O?

I think it's more the function of homebrew kegs having been an industry relying on second hand soft drink kegs. As we've grown and there's fewer and fewer second hand ones from soft drink (especially ball lock) we're now moving to being supplied kegs built specifically for home brewers. So if you want to rely on second hand soft drink kegs you'll probably get better pricing and availability from pin locks.

Actual functional differences? Most pin locks don't have a pressure relief valve. I find the PRV really handy.

All you need to do is replace the lid and you'll have a PRV.

I have pin locks and honestly if I was in your shoes, I'd swap the pin lock to ball lock. It can be easier said than done though because there are more than one type of pin lock kegs out there and the posts, threads, etc can be different. I'll see if I can find the link I have to help determine which you have.

https://www.cornykeg.com/resources/corny-keg-tips/identify-keg/

I have pin locks and honestly if I was in your shoes, I'd swap the pin lock to ball lock. It can be easier said than done though because there are more than one type of pin lock kegs out there and the posts, threads, etc can be different. I'll see if I can find the link I have to help determine which you have.

https://www.cornykeg.com/resources/corny-keg-tips/identify-keg/
What do you do with your Fermzilla when it comes to kegging Thunderwagon transferring from ball lock to pin lock?

What do you do with your Fermzilla when it comes to kegging Thunderwagon transferring from ball lock to pin lock?
I use the push lock fittings with a ball lock on one side and pin on the other.
IMG_20200210_193355.jpg

Neat. Yeah my understanding is pinlock was Coke and they don't make them anymore. Ball lock was Pepsi and are still made but with homebrewing in mind and new ones are not cheap.

Back