Oatmeal Stout

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Will be brewing @Yooper 's Oatmeal Stout today or tomorrow. Really liked the use of chocolate malts and have been looking for an excuse to gets some of Denny's yeast too. I doubled the batch to 10gal and adjusted for my water. I really want this beer to come out well as it is our first Oatmeal Stout.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/943052

Any tips or tricks from @Yooper or anyone who has brewed this would be appreciated. I am pretty sure I can nail it with my RIMS system, but just checking crossing t's and dotting i's.:)o_O:D

I’d shoot for mash pH of 5.5-5.6 or so, and a higher mash temp if you want a richer thick mouthfeel. But I get a great mouthfeel even with a lower temperature mash between the flaked barley and Denny’s Favorite 50 yeast.

I’d shoot for mash pH of 5.5-5.6 or so, and a higher mash temp if you want a richer thick mouthfeel. But I get a great mouthfeel even with a lower temperature mash between the flaked barley and Denny’s Favorite 50 yeast.

The mash temp was a concern for me as i never get under 75% attenuation. I may go with 156 mash temp for a little more residual. Will be brewing this tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the recipe and hints:D.

A while back I brewed a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout with 1450 (I, like Denny, am a big fan of this yeast, though I doubt it will ever be known as Megary's Favorite. *shrug*).

Anyway, I mashed at 154 and got 66%. I kept the beer around 64-65F for about 2 weeks.
Just another point of reference.

Good luck with this one!

Denny's fav is a great yeast. Makes a super creamy, delicious beer.
I've had a bit lower attenuation with Denny's, and notably on Yoopers stout. Truth be told tho, I think it may have made it extra delicious.

A while back I brewed a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout with 1450 (I, like Denny, am a big fan of this yeast, though I doubt it will ever be known as Megary's Favorite. *shrug*).

Anyway, I mashed at 154 and got 66%. I kept the beer around 64-65F for about 2 weeks.
Just another point of reference.

Good luck with this one!
Thanks! All input is good. Just about to start heating water:D

Hit all numbers on this except OG was 1.053 not 54. Racked it into kegs last night and will try to keep out of it for at least 2 wks. Put a floating pickup in one keg so may have to do a bit of quality control;). Never really tried to copy a recipe this close other than my own. Very happy with results so far. Makes me feel I have actually learned a little over the last 10 yrs!

Hit all numbers on this except OG was 1.053 not 54. Racked it into kegs last night and will try to keep out of it for at least 2 wks. Put a floating pickup in one keg so may have to do a bit of quality control;). Never really tried to copy a recipe this close other than my own. Very happy with results so far. Makes me feel I have actually learned a little over the last 10 yrs!

Let me know what you think! I still love that beer. A guy on another forum aged his a little with some bourbon barrel cubes and I was lucky enough to have him send me some. That was especially good, and I enjoyed that as well.

Let me know what you think! I still love that beer. A guy on another forum aged his a little with some bourbon barrel cubes and I was lucky enough to have him send me some. That was especially good, and I enjoyed that as well.
Was thinking about that. Was also considering some maple syrup but decided to just copy your recipe for now. There is always a next time.

Was thinking about that. Was also considering some maple syrup but decided to just copy your recipe for now. There is always a next time.

I think one of the reasons I love this beer is that it has a “coffee” type of roast to it and I found myself having a glass of it after dinner while my husband would have his after-dinner coffee. I am hyper enough all day, and I just can’t drink coffee after 9 AM so this was my after-dinner beer. Unfortunately, I don’t have any at all right now, so that should be my next brew. You’ve got me really hankering for one!

Back