Bread Thread!

Yeah... In hindsight, I think the sourdough starter I tossed, probably just wasn’t ready. It was around 10 days old at that time, but was sitting around 65-66 degrees (f), so it was going to ale longer. That being said, I really liked the idea of starting it with wheat flour, so now I’ve got the new one i started this morning.

but now that I’ve got the bread bug, gonna make up some yeast rolls for grandkids visit this weekend.

Yeah... In hindsight, I think the sourdough starter I tossed, probably just wasn’t ready. It was around 10 days old at that time, but was sitting around 65-66 degrees (f), so it was going to ale longer. That being said, I really liked the idea of starting it with wheat flour, so now I’ve got the new one i started this morning.

but now that I’ve got the bread bug, gonna make up some yeast rolls for grandkids visit this weekend.
There was probably nothing wrong with that starter judging by the photos earlier in thread. Like you said mase just needed some more time.

You know another thing you can do is check out any artisan bakery's Around town (with a handy Jar at the ready) they'll be sure to pitch you some starter for sure!

Before I had my third attempt on my one I was looking online for just that...

Your house temp sounds similar to mine. We get up to 68 tops and then much lower during the night. About 64ish while we sleep. My wife's internal thermometer says it's much warmer inside than it actually is.
I will not argue that point ;)

Last edited:
I keep the thermostat set to 70 this time of year. As you get older I'm sure you'll understand. I've got the vents shut off and doors closed in rooms we seldom use and vents choked down in other rooms, including the kitchen, to keep our bedroom and the master bath warmer. They're the furthest from the HVAC unit.
I just put my starter in the oven and turned on the light. would be really nice to have a loaf of sourdough artisan bread sooner than later.

I'm no vegan, but I basically followed this video and I think my loaves turned out great.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm no vegan, but I basically followed this video and I think my loaves turned out great.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Good video!

Day 1 complete from the “King Arthur” sourdough starter recipe.

A81DD9E7-F9EC-4263-86CD-1495E2812163.jpeg

There was probably nothing wrong with that starter judging by the photos earlier in thread. Like you said mase just needed some more time.

You know another thing you can do is check out any artisan bakery's Around town (with a handy Jar at the ready) they'll be sure to pitch you some starter for sure!

Before I had my third attempt on my one I was looking online for just that...
One of the videos I watched said the same thing... go to your local bakery and chances are they’ll give you some starter. I’d rather not go that route (yet anyway) as I’d like to do on my own, but if the second and and potential starters fail, I may go that route.

Thanks to whoever first suggested putting starter in the oven with the light on. After almost no action on the 8th day I stuck mine in the oven and it doubled inn size overnight. The oven temp. with the light on is just a tad under 80F. Temp on the kitchen counter was 67F. Might just be baking a loaf this weekend.

Yeah, mine seems to be super strong now and a bit more 'tangy' every day. I've already given part of my starter away and saving up my discards to make pizza dough and maybe crackers. I hate throwing it out 2x daily...
I can't wait to bake with it this weekend to see how it pans out.

Yeah, mine seems to be super strong now and a bit more 'tangy' every day. I've already given part of my starter away and saving up my discards to make pizza dough and maybe crackers. I hate throwing it out 2x daily...
I can't wait to bake with it this weekend to see how it pans out.

I'm only feeding once per day. No way I'd remember twice. An article I read suggested putting a small jar of it in the fridge just in case anything happened to your working starter. Just take it out, warm and feed once every week or 10 days. Think I'll do that when mine gets strong. That reminds me, need to pick up some unbleached AP flour.

Today will be my last 2x daily feeding. Starting tomorrow, I'll pull off what I need to start a batch and keep the rest in the fridge and probably feed once or so a week. That's my plan anyway.

Today will be my last 2x daily feeding. Starting tomorrow, I'll pull off what I need to start a batch and keep the rest in the fridge and probably feed once or so a week. That's my plan anyway.
Yeah... the novelty of feeding and watching the starter grow will wear off, and if it has to be fed everyday, the hobby won’t last long. Once I learned that it can be stored in a fridge for at least a week (longer with good planning and technique), I figured I can handle a weekly feeding.

@Mase totally agree. I'm tired of taking care of this little yeast pet already lol. It is my understanding that once it's strong enough, it can be stored, and I've also read of some pretty neglectful caregivers and the starter being just fine. Someplace I think I read they can even be dried and rehydrated...kinda rings a bell!

Yeah... the novelty of feeding and watching the starter grow will wear off, and if it has to be fed everyday, the hobby won’t last long. Once I learned that it can be stored in a fridge for at least a week (longer with good planning and technique), I figured I can handle a weekly feeding.
You can keep it in the fridge as long as you feed it once a week and leave it out overnight before using it. I've let my starter die simply because I wasn't baking often enough to keep it going.

Wow, go away for a week and a lot happened around here!

My Mother in law passed 1/29/20 and we've been very busy.

Everyone's bread is looking great!
I did a 500G loaf with my sourdough starter and finally dialed in the temperature and heat distribution to get a perfectly browned loaf! Thanks for the tips I stole from Trialben.
On the sourdough starter, I'm finding that if I keep it around 68-69°, I get a real nice sourness and more acidic acid notes.
If it struggles with that temperature, I just set it on top of the hot water tank with a feeding overnight and it takes off.
I have to admit that I'm really lazy with my starter.
I just open it up, toss in a couple of tablespoons of either unbleached APF or my organic whole wheat and stir it up with a little tap water until its about the consistency of pancake batter. Slide it into the cold corner of my kitchen counter top, and check it the next day.
With the small additions, I'm not discarding any of it if I'm baking once a week and if my starter gets full, i just toss it in the fridge.
So far, so good.
By the way, I think I might have a hard time eating those "Pretzels"!
Cheers,
Brian

Back