Top Cropping yeast harvesting and storage?

divoc 91

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Basic German wheat beer using WLP300, as I noticed the Krausen like no other I have seen before I decided to Harvest about 3-400 ML of what appears to be pure yeast. I filled a quart jar with pure creamy Krausen from my Fermoster. I added sterile water and put in fridge for 24 hours. there were only 2 layers. milky pure yeast and water above. I decanted the water and poured yeast into 300ml smaller mason jar and back into fridge. the small Mason jar is pure yeast with a 1/4 layer of water on top.

question? pitching? can I just pitch the entire contents after brew day as is, or do I split it up into 150ml of yeast and put 150ml into a yeast starter before brew day to get the yeast active again. the next brew I plan is a slightly more strong german wit, same grain bill but more additions like orange peel and seasonings.

so my question is can I just pitch the 300ml jar of top cropped yeast, or half the jar, or half the jar in a starter?

there is a ton of information on harvesting slurry and top cropped yeast. but the amount of yeast I gathered is large and I don't want to over pitch or under pitch.

also I have discovered that Krausen yeast can be a different characteristic and different kind of yeast then the yeast in the wort actively in conact, or yeast at the bottom flocculated early. Maybe slurry harvesting after fermentation captures all forms of yeast and its godly character of what top yeast/lower yeast add to beer flavor.?

I know this is a deep question but I want to just pitch say 200 ML of the yeast strait from my jar of top cropped harvested yeast.

Krausen was harvested on day 3, wort was 1.046 only 1oz of german hops added to boil in a hop bag. next batch will be 1.055 of same grain bill.

Thanks everyone

I go by 1 billion yeast cells per ml if fresh.
You've got 300 billion cells enough for 3 batches I recon @ 21lt 1.040 gravity ~ish.

My understanding is you can get away with underpitching with wheat beers as some of the flavours come from the phenols produced from the underpitched yeast.

I'd design your recipie find out how many many cells required for brew and decant that amount into fermentor on the day.

I go by 1 billion yeast cells per ml if fresh.
You've got 300 billion cells enough for 3 batches I recon @ 21lt 1.040 gravity ~ish.

My understanding is you can get away with underpitching with wheat beers as some of the flavours come from the phenols produced from the underpitched yeast.

I'd design your recipie find out how many many cells required for brew and decant that amount into fermentor on the day.
That seems to be the most agreed, good form, of pitching harvested yeast. Thank you. If I store the yeast for a week or 2 should I pitch more than 100 ML? I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it and take notes on fermentation. But I really like top cropping the hefe it is a different type of yeast rather non floculent and the krausen stricks around for a week!

That seems to be the most agreed, good form, of pitching harvested yeast. Thank you. If I store the yeast for a week or 2 should I pitch more than 100 ML? I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it and take notes on fermentation. But I really like top cropping the hefe it is a different type of yeast rather non floculent and the krausen stricks around for a week!
Amen yeah as with all things brewing I.can only point you in the right direction but am not on spot with the sciency stuff. I know with yeast the longer it sits the more cells die meaning viability drops so your 100billion become something like 80billion I'm sure they guage this on a monthly basis.
Some of the more knowledgeable brewers may like to share some better understanding on that.

Your yeast of used within two weeks will be raring to go by all means prep them in a vitality starter the day before game day for more peace of mind. But they will be good either way I think:)

Back