Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Pete-Hoff

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a recipe for a barrel aged imperial stout It'll be a PM recipe, shooting for ABV ~10%, IBU ~65-70, and SRM 40+. Still undecided on hops but I'm leaning towards either Bravo or Chinook for the bittering paired with a middle to late addition of either Cascade or Centennial.

I'm going for something that is very full body, lots of roasty, chocolate, and coffee notes with a hint of smokiness (from the smoke grains I'm going to experiment with). What sweetness there is I just want it to balance the roastiness and not be to overpowering ending with a somewhat dry finish.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/938388/the-devils-cut

Dme should help with some residual sweetness. Give the amounts of dark grain and bittering hops, I'd think you would be just fine for what you are looking for. If not, just tweak it and brew again.:)

Let me know how it comes out.

Ya I've thought about using Chinook but since I already have Bravo on hand figured I go with that. I've used in a similar stout recipe before with good results so I figured I'd go with it on this one. I have access to a used 5 gallon whiskey barrel from a local distiller that I plan on aging this beer in for a 6 months or longer.

Back