Thermowell adapter for Speidel fermenter

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
After looking at the thermowell options for the Speidel 30L fermenter I couldn't see spending $30 to $40 on either of them. Bought a spare cap and a #6.5,two hole ribbed silicone stopper and made one up for $10 and about 15 minutes work. Needed to drill a hole between 1 1/16" and 1 1/4" in the cap. Didn't have a hole saw the right size, so used the 7/8" one that I have and then used a 1/2 round file to enlarge the hole to 1 1/16". Smoothed it out with emery and inserted the stopper. Will use one of the thermowells that I already have Both have #10 stoppers, which weren't a fit for the Speidel.
Adapter1.jpg
Adapter2.jpg

So, do you then use a regular air lock in the second port in that bung?

I have two silicone bungs, and two temp probes, and each Speidel came with a cap, so will be doing this mod, thanks Bob.

BTW, the spigot that goes on the bittom port is reversible, I found when kegging last night that the trub was dangerously close to the spigot port. I flipped them over for the batch that went into them last night. I'm liking the gravity transfer to keg!

I like the 3 piece air locks, they will let air in when cold crashing without sucking the sanitizer in. Have not had an oxidization problem for 1.5 years doing that.

I have two silicone bungs, and two temp probes, and each Speidel came with a cap, so will be doing this mod, thanks Bob.

BTW, the spigot that goes on the bittom port is reversible, I found when kegging last night that the trub was dangerously close to the spigot port. I flipped them over for the batch that went into them last night. I'm liking the gravity transfer to keg!

I got the extra cap because I like being able to seal the fermenter up and shake to aerate, clean and sanitize without making a mess. Of course, with two caps, you can already do that : I watched several videos reviewing the Speidel before ordering it. One showed that you can either re index the spigot or reverse the core if your sediment level was too high. Nice feature.

I like the 3 piece air locks, they will let air in when cold crashing without sucking the sanitizer in. Have not had an oxidization problem for 1.5 years doing that.

I've actually had a 3 piece seal off while crashing and suck the sides of the Fermonster in. If you only fill either type to the line you won't get any suck back and the S type can't seal. We each use what works for us.

I just use a bung with 2 holes that fits the hole in the lid. save the screw on cap for other uses.

Couldn't find a 2 hole stopper that was a fit for the Speidel. Everything I found was either a # 6.5-7 or a # 10 Where did you find such an animal?

I don't think the bungs had any wholes in them. A piece of 1/4" SS tubing makes a good drill bit.

I don't think the bungs had any wholes in them. A piece of 1/4" SS tubing makes a good drill bit.

Ahhhhhh, great idea! Thanks!
Might just look at adding a 1/4" hole to the speidel bung for the thermowell.

Back