Keep getting a ‘grassy‘ hop problem

Bennyboyca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have made a few all grain beers now, some have been really nice. I’ve tried some recipes that have required quite abit of dry hopping (as I’m into craft ales with a lot of hop aroma, APA’s, NEPA’s etc). The problem has been that they seem to come out very grassy and because of this they seem to have abit of a muddy/ heavy body feel to them as opposed to the fresh punchy feel. Are there any tips that would help to fix this?

Also, there’s a recipe that I’d like to try that says there are 2 lots of dry hopping- the first at a ‘High Krausen‘ and then a second dry hop at at stable gravity, just worried about that grassy hop issue with this..

Thanks in advance!

Ben.

Can you share a recipe? When you say grassy, is it like drinking hay or straw, or drinking marijuana, or something different?

Can you share a recipe? When you say grassy, is it like drinking hay or straw, or drinking marijuana, or something different?

Hi, here is an example of a NEIPA that I made. Like others, it just didn’t have that zesty/ punchy/ zingy hoppy aroma, it was more heavy and muddy..

Attachments

• 6E553049-3F13-454B-BEE9-E81DD0B57616.png
    6E553049-3F13-454B-BEE9-E81DD0B57616.png
    381.9 KB · Views: 101
  • FB3D00F6-7F4F-4D49-83C6-615653930DA1.png
    FB3D00F6-7F4F-4D49-83C6-615653930DA1.png
    405.2 KB · Views: 95
To me the grain bill looks heavy and full. Are you doing BIAB and/or do you squeeze the bag to get all the wort out? My IPAs were heavy until I quit doing that.

Grassy can come from dry hopping for extended periods. Your recipe shows 5 days of dry hopping. Most times this isn't a problem at that length time, but you could shorten it to 2 days without any noticeable difference and see if it cleans up.

Just curious, how do you chill prior to pitching yeast?

Immersion chiller and recirculation. I tried a plate chiller but it clogged up so badly I gave it up.

Only reason I asked is because the one "grassy" batch I had was one that I pushed to the side and let cool overnight. But I left the hop bag in the whole time. I still run into that situation from time to time, but I pull the hops out now if the beer sits overnight for any reason.

Only reason I asked is because the one "grassy" batch I had was one that I pushed to the side and let cool overnight. But I left the hop bag in the whole time. I still run into that situation from time to time, but I pull the hops out now if the beer sits overnight for any reason.
Are you saying that you cool your beer by taking it off the boil and just let it cool based on the temperature in the room, garage, etc? That doesn't cause any issues?

On occasion - yes. If I am short on time and need to be somewhere I will skip that last half hour and put the lid on. I mostly do this when I brew indoors so it cools to room temp. Never had an issue, but like I said, that one time I had a grassy hop taste it was a batch that cooled overnight with the hop bag in.
BTW - in recent months when I do the overnight chill I will transfer to the fermenter anywhere below 120 (f) and give it an ice bath. Also no issues.

Back