2 from 1

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to split a batch of my house brown ale and try a couple of different yeasts. Most likely 2 four gallon batches. Any insights or recommended practices from the brewers who have done this before??

It's pretty straightforward. Just split the wort into two fermentors. Try to keep the conditions the same for both so you're measuring yeast difference, not fermentation temperature difference.

brew it as 8 (or 10) gallon batch if you have the space, portion equally into 2 fermentors.

what sorts of yeast are you looking at? any goals or conclusions you'd like to arrive at by comparing two strains?

brew it as 8 (or 10) gallon batch if you have the space, portion equally into 2 fermentors.

what sorts of yeast are you looking at? any goals or conclusions you'd like to arrive at by comparing two strains?

Hey Oliver! Sorry for not seeing this earlier!

For the most part I have been playing with Safale 04 or 05 for this recipe and in having had a recent batch of stout and a porter that I used Danstar with what I thought were good outcomes. So for a "goal"; it's which one tastes better to me. After that outcome, I'm going to look at goosing up the grain bill for a little more ABV.

I do yeast splits nearly every time I am just brewing to fill a tap space. It's a great way to dial in a recipe as well as see/taste the actual differences in yeasts. Many that claim to be the same strains have been remarkably different.

I do yeast splits nearly every time I am just brewing to fill a tap space. It's a great way to dial in a recipe as well as see/taste the actual differences in yeasts. Many that claim to be the same strains have been remarkably different.

Yeah! That's right in line with what I am trying to ascertain.

Something side by side and at the same time. I really have to think through all the mechanics of how to split thing so they are as "equal" as possible. I normally inject pure oxygen before pitching so now I'll be doing that while things are still in the kettle About the only thing that I have not figured out is the best way to split the wort from the kettle so I am getting the most homogenized wort into the 2 carboy before I pitch the yeast. I think I see another SST tee and some barb fittings in my future!

PS, great handle there Trub_Maker!

Yeah! That's right in line with what I am trying to ascertain.

Something side by side and at the same time. I really have to think through all the mechanics of how to split thing so they are as "equal" as possible. I normally inject pure oxygen before pitching so now I'll be doing that while things are still in the kettle About the only thing that I have not figured out is the best way to split the wort from the kettle

When I split wort I split 10 gal. Drain 2gal in 1 fermenter, 2gal in second fermenter. Back to first for 2gal etc til both are even. Not very scientific but as close as it needs to be for me. Copying ferm temp for both is more important imo.

Back