Grassy flavors wanted

4Bentley

Trial Member
Reaction score
For my next batch I would like to feature grassy flavors in my IPA. Not sure dank is the right word, but please let me know. Bubble Stash from Hop Valley and West Coast IPA from Green Flash brewery are examples. While I learned that Hop Valley sold out to Miller Coors, and I won't be buying them any more, I would like to capture the flavors in my own brew. Anyway I have questions.

Most dank recipes use Columbus and/or Centennial hops. Is the right choice, or are there better ones.

I believe Bubble Stash uses hop hash. Should I be using hop hash, oil, or cryo hops, or can we get there with pellets.

Should I be loading up or doing multiple dry hops to get there? How about loading up the whirlpool.

Let me know your thoughts

Not exactly sure what you are wanting but I think you mean Pine or evergreen? In that case a Chinook/ CTZ hop combo is pretty good. Centennial is another good Piney hop and it goes good with a citra hop late addition. I think thats what green flash IPA has.

Yes, not sure pine is the flavor I'm looking for, but maybe. More like a straw flavor. I have been using Centennial and Citra, perhaps not enough in the dry hop.

Hmmm, straw? That sounds more like a grain bill and water flavor. What is your grain bill/recipe so far?

Maybe heavy doses of these dank hops left in fermentor for quite awhile should lead to some vegetal/grassy flavours in your beer.

If grassy is what you're after, then try these in late additions or dry hops: Moscaic, Palisade, Warrior, Sorachi Ace, Topaz.

Thank you. I believe Bubble Stash uses Mosaic hop hash, so that will be a good place to start. I think dank is the proper attribute that I am looking for. I just wish whoever coined this would have used a different word. A danky IPA doesn't sound like something one would strive for. Oh well.

May also be related to the length of the dry hop. The polyphenols that people can describe as grassy or bitter start becoming more obvious after three days and keep coming out for a few more days after that (assuming the hops you're using have an appriopriate amount).

I would consider some English hops. Maybe not. I was think grassy like the subject not dank.

Last edited:
Mosaic ain't grassy in my opinion chinook on the other hand is or simcoe I get some dank from this too. Mmmm my next hoppy beer will be simcoe mosaic though..:rolleyes:

Oh swell. I see some experiments ahead. It may take a few batches to get there. Will probably do some small batch single hop dry hops as this seems to be where those flavors emerge.

Thank you.

Might be able to make some hop teas to test for “dankness”.

That is a good idea. Are you suggesting drinking the tea or adding it to beer that is ready to bottle?

yep... drinking the tea. Or sipping actually. Get some boiling water going and add the hop you want to taste. Just be careful with the dosing.

I have been searching for a Bubble Stash clone recipe and I found your posts on this. Do you have a recipe yet? Have you tried brewing it? Grateful for any info.

I have not found a bubble stash recipe, so if you find one pass it along. I did try a Firestone Walker union jack recipe. It didn't taste like the original and did not have the grassy flavor. I think I'm going to give it up and go back to my go to brut ipa recipe.

Back