Best Brew of 2019!

I found that something was missing in my darker beers and I found it in this recipe, simple sweetness was the key

My favorite brew of 2019 was my West Coast IPA, Cit Ruby Cit, I brewed this 4 times.
20191109_165232.jpg

I am told that the Bloody Finger Cranberry Chocolate Stout is my best brew to date by friends.
20191216_182352.jpg

The beer that I need to work on the most is my NEIPA, it still isn't what I want it to be.
20191213_222336.jpg

Pay close attention to volumes and weights. The all grain option is there. I have a 10gal MT so I have to scale it down to an 8gal batch to make grain fit in tun. Safe 05 or wyeast 1056 or cal 01 all work fine if you pitch plenty of yeast.

The recipe calls for 1 oz if Northern Brewer in the mash. Did you do this? If so do you think it had any impact?

The recipe calls for 1 oz if Northern Brewer in the mash. Did you do this? If so do you think it had any impact?
Yes I did this and have tried several variations but none have come out as well as the original recipe. The only thing I do differently now is I use my homegrown Centennial hops. Mash hops and mid boil hops have fallen by the wayside with all the new aroma hop varieties lately but IMO this recipe is a good example of why to use mash and mid boil. I don't dry hop very often, mostly flame out or whirlpool instead but can tell the difference with this brew so I bag a pile of centennial and put them in as fermentation slows down. This last batch they went in 5 days in and it was kegged at 10 days. I usually wait 14 days but it was finished, tasted great and was fairly clear so in the keg it went.

Back