Mash calculator no longer functions.

Melee Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
All of a sudden none of the water/mash calculators are working for me. Anyone else? I have 16 lbs of grain with my grist set to 2 qts/lb but when I run quick water requirements it says my strike water should be 2 gallons. This all worked last week, just not today.

The quick water requirements, and the seperate mash calculator both appear to be functioning as they have been on mobile, but let me check on desktop as well.

One thing to check off the top of my head is if there's any fermentables that have an unchecked "mashed" checkbox then those won't be included in the mash thickness equation.

Man so frustrating. I use this software every weekend and now this one bug is keeping me from starting the brew day. Doesn't matter how many pounds of fermentables I put in the recipe, the quick water requirements calculates it as if it was only 10 lbs. One other bizarre note is that it lists gains from a sugar addition that isn't in the recipe at all.

Man so frustrating. I use this software every weekend and now this one bug is keeping me from starting the brew day. Doesn't matter how many pounds of fermentables I put in the recipe, the quick water requirements calculates it as if it was only 10 lbs. One other bizarre note is that it lists gains from a sugar addition that isn't in the recipe at all.
If you're comfortable making the recipe public, please share the URL so we can assist further and get this resolved ASAP.

Same thing. Doesn't matter what I change in my recipe, grain amounts are just ignored. I tried creating a brand new recipe and the same thing happened. I get this for the Quick Water Req:
Equipment Profile Used
HERMS (20 gal)

Water Gallons Quarts
Total mash water needed 9.31 37.2
Strike water volume at mash thickness of 2 qt/lb 3.25 13
Remaining sparge water volume 6.06 24.2
Grain absorption losses -0.98 -3.9
Amount going into kettle 8.34 33.3
Volume increase from sugar/extract (early additions) 0.66 2.7
Adjusted starting boil size 9 36
Boil off losses -1.25 -5
Kettle dead space -0.25 -1
Amount going into fermentor 7.5 30
Total: 9.31 37.2

That is with over 20lbs of grain.

Figured it out. So odd.

Brewers friend software simply wouldn't calculate the Viking Pale Malt. Something must be wrong with its database entry. As soon as I select a different grain, the calculator works again. How do I report this?

I think I found it.

1) Check the "Mashed" Checkbox for viking cookie malt.

2) The quick water requirements seem to have a bug, they don't take into account any changes in the editor between saves. Click the recipe save button, then open the quick water requirements and it should update to the correct amount based on your equipment profile.

The Mash guidelines "starting mash thickness" also has a bug where flaked grains are not accounted for. WIth flaked oats, or flaked barley, entering a "starting mash thickness: 2.0" sets the strike volume to 6.3 gallons.

Changing the flaked oats to american 2 row for example, and clicking the initial mash thickness to 2.0 sets the strike volume to 7.75 as is expected.

I'm submitting two bug requests to the developers accordingly, 1 for the QWR to account for live edits, and one for flaked adjunct grains to be included in the starting mash thickness calculations.

Back