Special Roast

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a pound of special roast malt that I got from a local maltster and looking for ideas to use it up.
IMG_20191221_170807.jpg

"Toasty, Nutty, Notes of Raison"

Hmm? o_O

I'm thinking Brown Ale maybe? Of course, Brown Ales ---> Porters ---> Stouts are all my favorite beers.
Maybe open the pack and taste a few? Probably give you some ideas.

I use Special Roast for color in darker beers relatively often. Belgian styles are where you'll find the flavor profile sits very nicely. Any Brown Ale or Porter could support it. If it's the darkest flavor in the recipe, it may be out of place but used to balance a roasted/burnt flavor, it's pretty perfect.
Nutty/sweet with notes of dark caramel and dark fruit is how I think of it.

Looks like a lighter version of the Special B. Which means it needs to go in a Belgian.....:D

I use Special Roast for color in darker beers relatively often. Belgian styles are where you'll find the flavor profile sits very nicely. Any Brown Ale or Porter could support it. If it's the darkest flavor in the recipe, it may be out of place but used to balance a roasted/burnt flavor, it's pretty perfect.
Nutty/sweet with notes of dark caramel and dark fruit is how I think of it.
+1 on this description. Kind of interesting for this flavor profile at only 30L. Usually raison doesn't come out til 80L or so.

Back