Adusting ingredient amounts.

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
I generally take a recipe from a kit i liked and try tweaking to my own tastes. I almost always increase abv by 1-2% with the base malt and adjust hops for this. Now my question: About how much do i increase steeping grains for the abv change? I don't like a thin beer. Guessing if recipe calls for example: (Extract 2.5 gal.)
8 oz chocolate
4 oz victory
6 oz crystal 120
Maybe increase each by about 1 oz to try and retain 'similar' body and flavor? Too much, not enough ? Experimentation is my friend but roughly how much of an increase should I do?
Thanks!

Cant offer much help, but I'd increase the steeping grains based on a percentage.
So, say you increased the base malt by 25%, I'd look to increase the other ones by 25% too. Just adding a flat weight to each one would throw the ratios a little out of whack

In general, ingredients should be adjusted proportionally, including the hops. You want to shoot for the same Bu/Gu ratio or your recipe may not be balanced.

Agree with JC: Scale it proportionally.

Yes, finally looking over the % changes in each steeping grain, i need to adjust each to reflect same % before the base malt increase, is that correct? After my new adjustments bu/gu shows:
Calculated Gravity To Bitterness Ratio 0.37. May be a bit low not sure, this particular recipe is Moose Drool from NB, Supposed to be sweet but perhaps not that much.

I'm sure others here caught it, but when you refer to steeping grains, it's often assumed that you're brewing with extracts. When you refer to base malt, many assume that you're all grain brewing. When you're extract brewing the majority of the body comes from the extract(s) and the steeped grains are added primarily to contribute color and flavor. When you're all grain brewing some specialty malts are used specifically to add body, with any color and/or flavor contributions being a secondary affect.

Referring to both steeping grains and base malts in the same post can sometimes lead those who respond in different directions. Some may think you're an extract brewer and some that you're an all grain brewer. This could lead to replies that lead you in the wrong direction. I'm fine with all of the responses in this case, but you'd often be better served if you used extract rather than base malt when you are brewing with extracts.

This forum is exceptional, but contributors on many other forums are less likely to know the type of brewing a frequent poster does.

I see your point, thanks! I did mention my 2.5 gallon batches are extract but I can see where referring it as base malts could add much confusion! so... whoops, and thanks again.

Yes, finally looking over the % changes in each steeping grain, i need to adjust each to reflect same % before the base malt increase, is that correct? After my new adjustments bu/gu shows:
Calculated Gravity To Bitterness Ratio 0.37. May be a bit low not sure, this particular recipe is Moose Drool from NB, Supposed to be sweet but perhaps not that much.
That seems correct to me regarding your grain increase.
Never had moose drool, but that BUGU ratio leans more on the malty side so it fits with how you describe the original beer

Yes it definitely leans toward the malty/sweet but not too much. Peferect for me since my fave styles are dopplebock, baltic porter, etc. Doesnt mean i don't enjoy an old raputin or double rye ipa at times however, ha ha!

Then it sounds like itll at least be in the ballpark of what you're looking for. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

I see your point, thanks! I did mention my 2.5 gallon batches are extract but I can see where referring it as base malts could add much confusion! so... whoops, and thanks again.

Just trying to see that you get the most bang for you're buck :)

Thanks again! also found out it's caribou drool clone by NB, moose drool is another version by different vender.

Thanks again! also found out it's caribou drool clone by NB, moose drool is another version by different vender.
“Moose Drool” is the original, “Caribou Slobber” is the clone.

right, Adventures in homebrewing calls their version Moose Drool Clone. a clone of big sky's moose drool. Northern brewing calls it Caribou Slobber.

Both are good. The Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber is a fine kit. Or the all grain version is anyway.

Both are good. The Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber is a fine kit. Or the all grain version is anyway.
As our first brew was an extract of Caribou Slobber, our first brew of each new year is Caribou Slobber, but in All grain form as well. It is a good beer.

Back