Bottled Still Water versus Bottled Carbonated Water

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK I buy bottled Still water to brew with - 17p / 2 Lt at local supermarket. I have noted down all the relevant mineral contents and have plugged them into the water calculations and adjust as required for the brew in hand.

I was in the supermarket the other day and thought..." I know, I'll replenish my water stock while I'm here" so I bought the last 50Lt the shop had and brought them home only to discover I had got Carbonated instead of Still!!! Duh!!

The mineral content - as stated on the label - is the same as the still version so my question is... would the carbonation of the water make any flavour difference to the finished beer? Boiling it will drive off the CO2 but will the flavour be any different? Can I trust the Supermarket labelling?

Don't know - this is uncharted territory for me. I'd suspect that the carbonation wouldn't last long in the mash but it would increase acidity while it was there. So.... Unless you're willing to be the guinea pig on this one, either trade it out at the supermarket or get still water and drink the fizzy stuff.

Can you boil it first and then lower to mash temp? Not sure that would even make a difference. Just throwing darts.

I would think that if you left the lid off overnight, or for a day or so that the co2 would off gas. Just put a paper towel over it to keep dirt out. I would think... but I don't know

Can you boil it first and then lower to mash temp? Not sure that would even make a difference. Just throwing darts.
This is a good approach: Boiling would drive off the CO2. You might get some carbonate precipitation but that will go away.

Carbonic Acid.
I'd just pour it all in let sit over night like Craigerr suggested then brew next day.

I'm guessing from the carbonation maybe the water will be lower in PH but by the time you heat that fizzy water to mash temp all even if you just poured em in and started heating the co2 would be driven off.

If it were me I'd brew with it;).

I'd still vote for boiling but then I like to control as many variables as possible. Bring it to a boil and let it cool overnight.

Just brew and don't worry about it. Carbonic acid in the water dissociates into carbon dioxide and water. Heating the water to mash temperatures at atmospheric pressure will drive out most of the CO2. Solubility of CO2 in water decreases by a factor of about four when you go from 70 °F to 155 °F. Heating and stirring will get rid of most of the CO2 and not change the water chemistry significantly.

For the wine makers out there, would the degassing attachment to a cordless drill work to quickly dissipate the CO2?

For the wine makers out there, would the degassing attachment to a cordless drill work to quickly dissipate the CO2?

Yes, but you’d get one HUGE volcano that would travel up the attachment into the drill.

It’s not like I’m speaking from experience with degassing a very fizzy wine........because it wasn’t me. It was my friend. Yes, that’s it. My friend. My friend did that, not me. Nope, not me.

Yes, but you’d get one HUGE volcano that would travel up the attachment into the drill.

It’s not like I’m speaking from experience with degassing a very fizzy wine........because it wasn’t me. It was my friend. Yes, that’s it. My friend. My friend did that, not me. Nope, not me.
upload_2019-12-12_1-17-48.png

Back