Cool overnight...

MiketheB

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I started some IPA the other day and cooled the wort overnight...about 18 hrs. Put the lid on, was careful to sterilize... I used online suggestions. Please comment + or -. Is this a way to go? Thanks!

I cooled overnight in the kettle this past weekend, which wasn't my plan, but so far things look fine. I have chilled overnight in the fermenter before with no issues. As long as no nefarious characters get in there, you should be fine!

On the other hand, I have been saving my water from chilling in buckets, and using it for cleaning.

Only risk I see is DMS as long as your sanitation is good. I water the garden with chill water.

There should be no issues as long as sanitation is good. You might want to look up the "no chill" method. What you are doing is a slightly modified version of that.

The one thing to look for if you're using this method is the additional isomerization of hops. Hops added for flavor or aroma at the end of the boil will continue to isomerize and add more bitterness. This occurs until the wort gets below about 175 °F. You may also lose some of the flavor and aroma from the late addition hops. The bittering, or 60 minute, hops are not really affected as they have already been fully converted.

You just boiled wort in your kettle for 60 minutes pretty much sanitizing the entire internal surface except for the lid so I'd bet shell be just fine.

I no chill all the time but only in a completely sealed container with hardly any headspace

Hopefully this is OK as I just kegged one last night I cooled like that. I had just started cooling after the boil and got called into work. Washed up the lid and slapped it on top the kettle. Fermented just fine and tastes like beer going into the keg.

Hopefully this is OK as I just kegged one last night I cooled like that. I had just started cooling after the boil and got called into work. Washed up the lid and slapped it on top the kettle. Fermented just fine and tastes like beer going into the keg.
Hey, if it tastes like beer, it must be beer!
CHEERS!

Water conservation seems to be the theme today...This is the third article I have run into today on this topic..Attached an old Brulosphy Xbeeriment

http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/09/a-year-of-no-chill-lessons-from-a-secret-xbmt/#more-2760

and an article from my newsfeed

https://vinepair.com/articles/beer-sustainability-water-waste/

The Vinepair article is a tad off topic but it's another conservation measure. I have taken to refreezing my chill water into small blocks to put back into the cooler then pump the ice water through my immersion coil.

Water conservation seems to be the theme today...This is the third article I have run into today on this topic..Attached an old Brulosphy Xbeeriment

http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/09/a-year-of-no-chill-lessons-from-a-secret-xbmt/#more-2760

and an article from my newsfeed

https://vinepair.com/articles/beer-sustainability-water-waste/

The Vinepair article is a tad off topic but it's another conservation measure. I have taken to refreezing my chill water into small blocks to put back into the cooler then pump the ice water through my immersion coil.
Well weve just come through our driest spring on record in Aus coupled with our Fifth Hotest Spring on record has left our country parched and crying out for moisture. Half the east coast is on Fire dude save that brew water for a second use.
I use my hot chill water for post brew cleaning.
At flame out ive got every respectable container including my brewery bin lined up like ducks in a row to receive my imersion chiller outlet.

Even my brew sink I built has a bucket underneath so I can repitch this onto the garden!

Living in the driest continent on Earth (apart from Antarctica) teaches you that. Wonder why "no chill brewing" started here?

Never leave a tap dripping around a Queenslander is all i can say...

Well weve just come through our driest spring on record in Aus coupled with our Fifth Hotest Spring on record has left our country parched and crying out for moisture. Half the east coast is on Fire dude save that brew water for a second use.
I use my hot chill water for post brew cleaning.
At flame out ive got every respectable container including my brewery bin lined up like ducks in a row to receive my imersion chiller outlet.

Even my brew sink I built has a bucket underneath so I can repitch this onto the garden!

Living in the driest continent on Earth (apart from Antarctica) teaches you that. Wonder why "no chill brewing" started here?

Never leave a tap dripping around a Queenslander is all i can say...
In Louisiana, we have water everywhere. Our problem is getting rid of it.

Just curious on the clarity of the final product? I’ve never attempted to cool overnight but I would imagine you wouldn’t get much cold break.

Just curious on the clarity of the final product? I’ve never attempted to cool overnight but I would imagine you wouldn’t get much cold break.
Not so sure about the cold break giving you better final beer clarity. As I understand it the thinking is that if you don't transfer it out of the kettle you don't have it in the fermenter, so your don't have it in the beer, so the beer is clearer.

There's been a bit of testing recently that continues to point to a healthy fermentation as a big contributor to beer clarity. And a slightly cloudier wort with more proteins and food for the yeast generally gives a healthier fermentation than a really clear wort. So transferring some of your cold break (or having more of it in suspension) may help your fermentation.

Not so sure about the cold break giving you better final beer clarity. As I understand it the thinking is that if you don't transfer it out of the kettle you don't have it in the fermenter, so your don't have it in the beer, so the beer is clearer.

There's been a bit of testing recently that continues to point to a healthy fermentation as a big contributor to beer clarity. And a slightly cloudier wort with more proteins and food for the yeast generally gives a healthier fermentation than a really clear wort. So transferring some of your cold break (or having more of it in suspension) may help your fermentation.
If cold break led to cloudy beer, you'd never see anything through mine.

Back