Rice hulls

Reaction score
A little late in the year but I am making a pumpkin ale, first time doing one. I have read about stuck sparges from people using canned pumpkin and people using rice hulls to prevent that. Question is, how much? I am making a 5 gallon batch with 24oz of canned pumpkin in the mash tun along with all the grain, How much rice hull should i put in? Thanks

Same, I use 2lbs for 10 gallon batch when doing a NEIPA with flaked oats, and flaked wheat totalling 25% of the grain bill

I typically add 5-10% of the grain bill as rice hulls, depending on expected OG or percentage of flaked grains. I start at 5%, and as either go up, I increase up to 10%.

Make sure, if you add rice hulls to your brews, to adjust the grain bill in your recipe, as they do affect the total amount of water necessary (even if just a little).

thanks guys, Im going to just rinse them first and let them soak so they dont take up too much water.

No need to go to that trouble, just add them to your grain bill, the water requirements will update automatically.
I agree totally! I've gone to the trouble and for one, it sucks, and for two, it just doesn't work!

My usual plug for a brew bag instead, but I would just add more water as others have said if you're going to use them.

Back