Is this bad?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am lautering via pump into my kettle through the whirlpool port. Is the wort splashing (aeration) a bad thing, or is this a good practice?
20191130_091036.jpg

20191130_091043.jpg

Obviously I could simply drain into the kettle, but I am working out a process where I will be able to turn valves and pumps on and off for the entire brewing process.

I gravity transfer from MLT to kettle and I have run the wort gently to the bottom of the kettle and splashed it from above like you are doing here and I have never noticed a difference. As far as I can tell HSA isn't much of an issue at the homebrew level.

Depending on what drain hose I grab on the way to the garage on brew day determines whether it drains in like yours, or lays flat on the bottom. I’ve always tried to avoid the splashing, but for those brews that I used the shorter hose that causes some splashing, haven’t yielded any ill effects.

Hot-side aeration isn't that great of a problem. Any O2 added during the lauter will be boiled off in the boil. Keep the splashing reasonable and it shouldn't be a problem

Thought so, thanks for the response folks!

Thanks for posting the link Wade! That Brulosophy experiment definitely puts HSA in the Myth category (at least at the home brewer level).

Just saying looks like you could just disconnect it from the pump and dump that hose straight into boil kettle:rolleyes:.
Alot quicker I know via the pump...

Just saying looks like you could just disconnect it from the pump and dump that hose straight into boil kettle:rolleyes:.
Alot quicker I know via the pump...
Yes indeed Ben, I am however working out a process with multiple pumps and valves so that hoses don't have to be moved around. I was throttling the valve at the pump to match the speed of the draining wort.

Yes indeed Ben, I am however working out a process with multiple pumps and valves so that hoses don't have to be moved around. I was throttling the valve at the pump to match the speed of the draining wort.
Ozarks on here I'm sure has Mastered that art.

Thanks for posting the link Wade! That Brulosophy experiment definitely puts HSA in the Myth category (at least at the home brewer level).
I do try to avoid excessive hot side aeration, but I don't get too obsessed. I have found that a lot of homebrewing lore has come from observing commercial brewing and some things, good or bad, just don't seem to scale down to our level.

I've never heard of this non splashing hot side stuff, here in the UK... I just open my valve,into a bucket (3 feet), then tip into boiler. Plenty of splashing... Not noticed any bad things happening to the beer.

I've never heard of this non splashing hot side stuff, here in the UK... I just open my valve,into a bucket (3 feet), then tip into boiler. Plenty of splashing... Not noticed any bad things happening to the beer.
It's not a big problem. Either you're splashing unboiled wort, which will soon have the O2 driven off by the boil, or your're splashing boiled wort, which you want to oxygenate anyway. There are those who believe that any O2 at all will DOOM your beer, even to the point of trying to supply yeast with sterols using olive oil instead of O2. I've never tasted their beer so can't make any claim but I've made BOS Helles using simple schlep-and-dump processes. Reasonable precautions against oxidation on the hot side are likely warranted, keeping "reasonable" in mind.

I really don't understand the logic of this set up at all. Once you have gravity on your side, the pump is completely superfluous. You need a pump to lift hot liquor or wort to another vessel on the same level or recirculate. People buy pumps because they don't have multi-level capabilities. Your set-up as pictured makes no sense. You're using a pump in the one place you don't need one and you don't have plumbing set up where you need it most - HLT to MLT/Sparge. A single pump and a 3-way valve covers every operation you need to do with the vessels you have.

I really don't understand the logic of this set up at all. Once you have gravity on your side, the pump is completely superfluous. You need a pump to lift hot liquor or wort to another vessel on the same level or recirculate. People buy pumps because they don't have multi-level capabilities. Your set-up as pictured makes no sense. You're using a pump in the one place you don't need one and you don't have plumbing set up where you need it most - HLT to MLT/Sparge. A single pump and a 3-way valve covers every operation you need to do with the vessels you have.
JA
That makes sense. I have been working out a schematic for a 2 pump system so I don't have to move hoses around. I already have a 3 way ball valve on the MLT so I can A) recirculate mash, and then B) pump to BK. I guess I could just choke off the pump and turn it off then drain by gravity. Here is my schematic to date, I will make that change. I already have two pumps, the plan is for only one to see wort to minimize cleaning.
3V 2P System Layout.JPG

I found my way through! Only got stuck and had to backtrack twice.:oops:

If your spatter is normal, it's not a problem.

Didn't read all the responses but will agree that as long as the hot side aeration isn't severe, it will boil off before causing noticeable problems, unless your run off takes an exceptionally long time. I think the reaction that causes oxygen related off flavors takes time, and most home brew batches you are getting to a boil before they have all taken place, hence why it isn't as much of a worry as it is for production brewers who are running off 1000 gallons and not just 6-10 gallons.

Back