The grain I want to use is not listed - help!

I really liked the country tags, too. I don't do recipes by producer, rather selecting German pilsner for my German styles, Belgian for Belgians, you get the picture. And Black Lion, where ya from? I'm a Muhlenberg County boy myself....

And Yooper, please forgive - your post came in while I was posting this.

I really liked the country tags, too. I don't do recipes by producer, rather selecting German pilsner for my German styles, Belgian for Belgians, you get the picture. And Black Lion, where ya from? I'm a Muhlenberg County boy myself....

Transplant from Indy to Franklin Co.

Us Aussies have a lot of New Zealand grains at our disposal and would appeciate these added to the list as well thanks. Particilarly from Gladfield - www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz

Another "custom" malt maker that is widely distributed in NZ, Oz and South East Asia is Cooper's from Australia. I've found that any recipe with a custom malt is not included in the mash calculations of a brew session.

Thanks for the attention to detail.

When will Aussie & New Zealand malts be added to the list of malts?
I'm in 2019 (December so almost 2020) and I am disappointed that 3 Joe White Items I want to use are not on the list.

Additionally, I will be steeping them NOT as part of a mash yet I have to add them in the fermentable section as the steeping section doesn't allow me to ADD my own?

I'm in 2019 (December so almost 2020) and I am disappointed that 3 Joe White Items I want to use are not on the list.

Additionally, I will be steeping them NOT as part of a mash yet I have to add them in the fermentable section as the steeping section doesn't allow me to ADD my own?

Could you specify what those three items are? While anyone can add them to the user contributed public ingredient catalog, I'll try and do so this afternoon when I get home.

At the moment the only options in BF are steeping grains are either to mash them, or to use the option for "late addition" which will include the fermentable in the post boil gravity calculations.

We are working on a plan to implement more options for more variable ingredient additions but it will need a good deal of planning and testing before the update goes live and I cannot say when that might be.

Could you specify what those three items are? While anyone can add them to the user contributed public ingredient catalog, I'll try and do so this afternoon when I get home.

At the moment the only options in BF are steeping grains are either to mash them, or to use the option for "late addition" which will include the fermentable in the post boil gravity calculations.

We are working on a plan to implement more options for more variable ingredient additions but it will need a good deal of planning and testing before the update goes live and I cannot say when that might be.
Definitely.
Also as a work around I used the suggestion with listing it as part of 'My Inverntory' at least I could the ADD them to the recipe. So that idea at least works.

The Jow White stuff is quite common in Australia so adding all 10-20 would be best but the three I used are

Joe White - Crytal Malt (aka medium) EBC 140 - 160 = L of 53 - 60
Jow White - Crystal Malt Light EBC 100 - 140 = L of 30 - 53
Joe White - Roasted Barley EBC 1200 - 1800 = L o f 450 - 675

Note*
The Joe White ingredients are listed with an EBC rather than L. They are also listed with a range?
For my own inventory I used the upper colour.

I could send pdf with the list and that way you could add all grains over time? I think most of them would be used by Australian's pretty regularly given their availability.

For the ppg I used a 'generic' meausurement as I could NT find this information anywhere.

I can send what I used for my inventory listing?

So the other items I suggest adding and could send though more info are:

- Caramalt
- Crystal Malt Dark
- White Amber
- Chocolate Malt
- Wheat Malt

There are a couple of others of course.

Additionally - It in may just be a naming convention issue, I could only find TWO Briess liquid extracts listed with the CBW naming.

I had to add the following to m inventory :

Briess CBW Pale Ale Liquid Malt Extract

But I think it would make sense to have their liquid malt extracts

Briess CBW

- Pilsen Light
- Golden Light
- Munich
- Sparkling Amber
- Porter
- Traditional Dark Liquid
- Rye
- Bavarian Wheat
-

The Vienna and another one were listed.

The other extracts popular ones in Australia that I think 'should' be listed are the Liquid ME's by

Morgan's and Coopers.
That's my 2 cents and happy to help.

Thanks for prompt reply and support.

Lastly, I will have to check the user-contributed Public Ingredient section/ability.

*Edit
Also I could choose Czech as the country for the Briess item.
That might not be a biggy IF the Briess items are added to the man database.

Cheers

Last edited:
I didn't read your entire post, but just wanted to point out that, as all malts typically have a range, you could just as easily pick an existing malt that is real close to what you are using. I have had great results doing this myself.

Definitely.
Also as a work around
I didn't read your entire post, but just wanted to point out that, as all malts typically have a range, you could just as easily pick an existing malt that is real close to what you are using. I have had great results doing this myself.

Yeah I thought that. So pretty much any Pale Ale Liquid Malt Extract is gonna be the same.
It's more to make sure - for replicating exact recipes myself.
That way I can try a different cans and see and by having these listed I can be accurate is all

I agree that for general recipe creation and recording a generic listing will usually suffice.

I do like having things accurate is all.

Fair enough. Two years in and there are more variables in my process than there are in this malt and that malt. At the end of the day I make beer, and I am happy with the results. 2 row is 2 row, and C60 is C60. I am not skilled enough to tell the difference between this malter or that malter. Brew on brother

I've added all of the grains listed in the latest Joe white catalog I could find on the cargill.au website with the exception of "raw wheat" as no properties were listed, such as PPG, or color. For the other fermentables, the median value was used for the color. If it listed 400-600, 500 was used.

https://www.cargill.com.au/en/doc/1432108259005/joe-white-maltings-catalogue-pdf.pdf

These won't be added to the public catalog immediately, as they have to be reviewed and approved. In the meantime, you can use this recipe if you would prefer.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/917591/joe-white-test

Following up on this, the Joe white malts have been approved and are available for public use in the catalog.

Let me know if you notice any issues!

I've added all of the grains listed in the latest Joe white catalog I could find on the cargill.au website with the exception of "raw wheat" as no properties were listed, such as PPG, or color. For the other fermentables, the median value was used for the color. If it listed 400-600, 500 was used.

https://www.cargill.com.au/en/doc/1432108259005/joe-white-maltings-catalogue-pdf.pdf

These won't be added to the public catalog immediately, as they have to be reviewed and approved. In the meantime, you can use this recipe if you would prefer.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/917591/joe-white-test
Great.

And thank you from many Aussies who use JW!

Hi Gents,

What a great site!

I've previously added 'Simpsons' grains of various types to my inventory.

I'd like to add another but since your update I can't find it. I have to add it it as a 'custom'.

All Simpson's malts are still listed under 'Home >> Fermentables'.

Is this a bug or have you deleted them?

Mike

@Mine's an Old Peculier

Hey Mike, I logged into your account and see them listed just fine? Where specifically are you having issues?

For inventory, you'll need to choose a brand first.

upload_2022-4-2_16-38-25.png

In recipe builder all simpsons ingredients are listed as far as I can tell in your account.

upload_2022-4-2_16-37-23.png

How strange. The listed brands are a lot shorter than I remember:

The only brand starting with 'S' is Sugar Creek Malt.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 08.48.59.png

Tried the old 'turn it off/turn it on' but still the same.

Mike

Back