I need help with priminh

Punkyemb

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have made a few beers now and I have primed to the low end of the scale, I have checked the FG for 3 days before bottling and it was unchanged, yet my beer keeps foaming out of the bottle when opened can any one tell me what I am doing wrong.

Possibilites:
Infection, most likely.
You're getting some protein "bits" in the bottle. Less likely but still possible.
You're getting some precipitated calcium salts. Still less likely but still within the realm of possibility.
You're getting some tartarate crystals. Unlikely.
You're overcarbonating. Based on your description unlikely.
First place to check is always sanitation.

We sanitize everything right before use with sanistar, bottles are sanitized in dish washer then dipped in the sanistar solution and dryed, how ever we do have extremely hard water with lots of calcium. Also I brew a berliner. I have 2 cases bottled is there a way to save what is already bottled

As far as priming I primed 4.5 gallons with 9oz. Light DME, witch should have given me about a 3.5 volumes co2.

3.5 vols is actually the high end of the scale. I have problems with gushers at 3.0 vols. There's your problem - simple overcarbonation. It's likely compounded by some kind of trub, yeast, precipitate or something else forming condensation nuclei for the bubbles to form but with that much gas in the bottle, foaming over is likely. I've backed carbonation for most of my beers back to the 2.5-2.7 range with the high end for myself at 3.0. Of course, I live at 6,000 feet so I'll have more of a gushing tendency than at sea level.

Is there away to salvage what I have.
And thank you for the help

Handy little chart.

as for saving what you have, nope, just keep a beer glass handy :D

Attachments

• CO2 Chart.JPG
    CO2 Chart.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,093
Nosybear said:
3.5 vols is actually the high end of the scale. I have problems with gushers at 3.0 vols. There's your problem - simple overcarbonation. It's likely compounded by some kind of trub, yeast, precipitate or something else forming condensation nuclei for the bubbles to form but with that much gas in the bottle, foaming over is likely. I've backed carbonation for most of my beers back to the 2.5-2.7 range with the high end for myself at 3.0. Of course, I live at 6,000 feet so I'll have more of a gushing tendency than at sea level.

I once had the bright idea to put a couple hop pellets in the bottle before I capped. Sort of dry hopping in the bottle. My carbonation level was about 2.5. The pellets dissolved into a flowing cloud of fine particulate matter on the bottom of the bottle. I thought I had the next advancement in the science of brewing. Charley Papazian was surely going to invite me to dinner. End result: When each bottle was opened, they didn't gush immediately, but you could see the foam rising as the CO2 attached to the hop particles and came out of solution. the bottle would just foam continuously. Wont do that again. Also, Charley never called.
Nosy has it right. Unless you are bottling some highly carbonated Belgians, ( and also with proper strength bottles) 2 to 2.5 volumes is enough. As far as what you have already bottled, get it cold as you can and open over a sink. Be careful with any stored warm as they could blow.

Back